Anything Direct Drive related (SERIOUS)

I wouldn’t do that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Looks like it’s on one of those sappy decks that no-one seemed to like due to the weird softness

1 Like

If you want AT hub motors, i strongly recommend Backfire’s Ranger X2 motors. You can buy the whole truck assembly from them, iirc. Pretty torquey, top speed aint great (though that could be limited by software, no way of knowing with the hobbywing controller that came with it unless i throw a vesc in haha), but the rubber wheels are pretty comfortable for airless and they are very reliable in my experience. I have put over 500 miles on my ranger, more than half of those in the pouring rain, and they are still going strong. Need to clean the bearings, but other than that. No issues.

4 Likes

Nice to hear great things about these budget AT hubs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep those are the ones! Very comfortable ride, grip is great. The rubber is pretty soft so it wears down eventually, but nothing horrible. I have toyed with the idea of putting a vesc in to get more torque and/or speed out of these. But i dont like taking apart working builds.

1 Like

@DerelictRobot Mate, would you be able to check something for me ? I have at this moment the 90KV from @torqueboards, extremely satisfied with them on 110mm 74A, as long as the road is not messed up (put already 3/4K km on them).
You can check the build thread here "The Feet Fatigue" - 150km range TB DD machine

I tried the airless AT wheels from @Esk8supply, but the torque sucks ass… Not even talking about up hill

I am tempting on breaking the bank again and get their special 60KV, Janux Bermesiter kegel adaptor to finally be able to ride AT, but first I would like to know if they perform good enough ? Meaning torque wise uphill, temperature…

Would you have some data to share, videos, pictures…. Anything really :slight_smile:
Thanks a bunch

1 Like

@ThomasL I tried on 2WD and it wasn’t enjoyable personally. Not enough torque even on 75KV.

4WD would possibly be doable. We also do have the adapters for out AT Tires for the TB DD. Just not available on the website.

For 2WD, I wouldn’t want to offer it or recommend it.

1 Like

@torqueboards You are saying that it wasn’t enjoyable, not enough torque even on 75KV… but I am talking about the 60KV, they should have better torque than the 75KV.

1 Like

Haven’t tried 60KV yet TBH. Might be better but I honestly wouldn’t recommend it unless 4WD.

You can try it and I have the adapters. Just PM me.

1 Like

By trying them, you mean buying them and report back :smiley: I am not Croesus, this is why I would like @DerelictRobot to report back on his thoughts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Changing the Kv won’t help if your ESC isn’t overheating, and if your motor is overheatign changing the Kv won’t help also

If the motors are cool and your ESC can handle just increase increase the current, increasing the motor current by 1.5 times will have the same result as going to the 60 Kv on the same current as now

1 Like

He’s tested it on 4WD if I’m not mistaken. @Ahrav ran it on 4WD too.

2 Likes

I am already at 75A per motor, 70A for the battery (I can push to 80A for the battery, but the 50E aren’t made to pull more than that)

1 Like

For science, and my wallet, I would like @DerelictRobot to try on 2WD 60KV if he has time :smiley:
@ahrav is on 4WD 90KV with AT wheels, and he says he has plenty of torque, might be the way to go

2 Likes

Just increase the motor current, leave the battery as is, you will have more torque, but will tapper down early

Just make sure you have the motor temperature sensors working so you don’t cook them accidentally

Unless mistaken, the DD are rated for 80A max, @torqueboards correct ?

He’s offline now but here’s some user information about the TBDD and talking about outrunner 6380’s:

Yeah but it depends on the Kv

A higher Kv motor can take more current for the same heat loss

Motors are rated for torque, the different Kv options only change at what current and speed that torque can be produced

For example, if you went with the 60 Kv motor and kept the same current settings you have now, it would increase the torque, but your motor woudl heat more, depending on where you ride, way more

2 Likes

If you are looking to gauge torque sorts objectively use this guy https://calc.3dservisas.eu/

It’ll
Give you torque values based on your setup. Granted there are other factors in play.

Nonetheless it’s a good baseline. You can also toggle between 4wd and 2WD and you’ll see the big difference it has.

EDIT: I’ve gone awd with 90kV and AT. I had zero issues whatsoever. Motors got hottter a bit faster than thane which I expected but the torque was still better than a 2WD with thane… again personal experience but doable. I would recommend 4wd with DDs until tested with 2WD at a low kV.

1 Like