Anyone know a welder?

would they still fit the leiftech center wheels? or would I have to use spacers?

2 Likes

here it is at the moment

it is designed for wide center wheels like on the SBX.

1 Like

I only have a model of the JMK ride wheel that needs custom axles…

1 Like

would the alpha include the JMK ride wheels then?

1 Like

in order to convert a JMK ride skate wheel into a wheel with a keyed 8mm shaft I have to use a motor shaft from a 6355 motor which I have not bothered to find a source to order them from yet, @flipsky oem I guess. I could also go through the trouble to get a custom machined thing to convert the wheels but that would not be as economical i think.

it’s either making these, or ordering $100 or $150 SBX wheels.

3 Likes

one really cool part about this upgraded modular caster module attachment, is how if you take it apart to this point you can add any kind of wacky drive to this thing. Belt drive, gear drive, hub motor, EDF. Any propulsion method.

2 Likes

Well, yes and no.
The problem with aluminium is that even with weldable grade you get a
strength reduction in the heat affected zone. For weldable parts this is not a problem and is taken into consideration at the design phase.
TLDR, yes it can probably be welded but there is always a chance it will break next to the weld in the future.
Definitely worth the try.
I would weld it for free but I am a too far away and shipping would kill it.

5 Likes

It will definitely break again. Just a matter of time. It’s just too thin. Remanufacturing in something like steel would be better if that’s an option. Also, if it can’t be welded it can probably be brazed, but again, I wouldn’t expect longevity from an aluminum part this thin. The round bottom plate thingy looks equally underbuilt.

3 Likes

to be made it needs to be broken into 3 ish parts like this:

idk if anyone knows exactly what C-channel size that would be lmk.

2 Likes

@Fosterqc you bought that leiftech off my friend iirc right?

1 Like

machining that wouldn’t be difficult

1 Like

I’ve read about welding aluminum bicycle frames. They were saying you have to anneal the aluminum, weld it, and then re-heat treat it so it’s all uniform strength. I think some guy said toss the part in the oven on self clean mode to anneal it

this wouldnt be hard to recreate in sheet metal. Is each face identical? Wanna trace it with paper and take precise measurements?

Very few bike aluminium frames are pwht. The ones that are, are a lot more expensive.
An oven on self clean mode is around 500C which might do the solution annealing but then you would have to age it to get the strength back.
Not something a DIYer can do without specialized equipment.

2 Likes

I would definitely buy a few of them if you are able to machine it. I believe @Fosterqc has a cad of the caster.

2 Likes

Leiftech hanger models single part and 3 part…zip (896.5 KB)
maybe I could print it one more time to be 110% sure

I realize I never posted my hanger print testing in that thread much.
Veiftech - DIY upgraded Leiftech V2

2 Likes

this is how I was able to dial in the model

1 Like

If you could wait 2-3 of weeks, I could do that. Got to catch up on a few other things first.

1 Like

definitely!

I guess I should say I’ll make whatever @Fosterqc provides that will work if he is game

2 Likes