Anyone done a battery upgrade on the Backfire R3 remote?

Hey all, I’ve got a Backfire Zealot that I ride as my medium-range fun/commuting board. It has the Backfire R3 remote. I know the basics of how to solder, and 3.7v lipo flat packs are dirt cheap, so I’m considering replacing the remote’s stock lipo with a larger capacity one. Has anyone here done a battery mod on this particular remote (or the backfire R2 or R2X, as they’re very similar)? It isn’t the generic Hobbywing remote, it’s Backfire’s proprietary remote, as shown below:

The main things I’m wondering are:

• What is the capacity of the stock R3 battery? I’ve scoured Reddit, Backfire’s main website, and Backfire USA’s website to no avail, the mAh rating of the stock R3 battery is nowhere to be found. I’m guessing it’s somewhere in the 300-500mAh range, but I want to know so that I don’t get a lipo that has nearly the same capacity as the stock one.

• If anyone here has done a battery mod on this particular remote, how big of a pack were you able to cram in it?

Just curious if anyone else has done this mod so I can gauge what size & capacity lipo to get. If I’m the first, then when I get around to modding the remote I’ll make sure to post a thread with instructions on how to do it, and the mAh rating of the stock lipo! Most prebuilt esk8 remotes have a good amount of extra space in em’, so I’m hoping to be able to cram at least a 1,000mAh lipo in it.

that is one tiny battery for a pretty large remote

1 Like

Wow, that was quick! Appreciate the help, looks like I was right about the 300-500mAh range for the lipo. That’s the usual battery size in Hobbywing remotes, as a result they’ve usually got a good amount of unused space in them. I can definitely fit a larger lipo in that, probably a 1,000mAh one if I get a bit creative.

1 Like