Anyone charging at 15A, 20A, even 30A?

With cells like the P42A it’s certainly possible.
With a standard charge rating of 4.2A/cell a 4P pack could easily be charged at 16A and that cell’s 8.4A rapid charge rating means up to 32A charging is possible without exceeding any ratings (as long as the cells stay below, IIRC, 45°C).

Of course, 8.4A/cell charging would shorten cycle life some. I don’t know by how much.

Is anyone charging at levels a lot higher than 10A?
Are you using a single high power supply/charger or paralleling supplies?

14 Likes

I regularly charge at 15 and 20a.

Big packs though.

I have a 12s 20a brick charger, and a 12s 15a balance charger. I love them both like my first born child.

Additional to this… my current ride has the 13s battery split into a 6s and 7s to take advantage of the dual charging ability of the balance charger… so effectively i can charge that battery at a rate of 30a

12 Likes

Not a lot of people can justify spending on a charger the same amount they spent on batteries unfortunately…
Charging a 12s1p at 8A is too cool to pass though

7 Likes

Yeah… i find it hard to justify a lot of the things i spend money on… but luckily i only have to justify them to myself most of the time :rofl:

13 Likes

you could diy it with a powerful psu like the Huawei R4850G2.
It does 53.5V at 56.1Amps xD (and is listed for under 50$ on ebay regularly)
not that far off from 12s charging voltage ^^

5 Likes

God damn…
Where do i even begin to look for a bms to support that?

3 Likes

Also… lol
This will trip any breaker on sight

1 Like

the big LLT BMS’s should work. Don’t know if i would trust them tho…

1 Like

Not in EU with 220V :wink:

5 Likes

Newp. 2000W for long term/permanent consumption and 3000 or 3500W for short term, like a kettle or hair dryer. And even my hair dryer at 2500w gets the socket hot in 20 minutes :confused:
These things are better off on 400v sockets to suck on all 3 phases

5 Likes

dafuq.

3 Likes

Just don’t use one :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

damn are u rapunzel or how long is your hair if you need 20 mins with a 2.5kW hairdryer to get it dry? xD

6 Likes

In theory i can accidentally wipe my ass with it. I will unfortunately not demonstrate

3 Likes

Can someone link their chargers here? As op says, only high power ones

2 Likes

AU $477.67 | Ultra Power UP1200AC PLUS 2X600W 15A 6-12S Battery Balance Charger For UAV Drones

5 Likes

AU $185.66 | 50.4V 20A charger for 12S lipo/ lithium Polymer/ Li-ion battery pack smart charger support CC/CV mode 4.2V*12=50.4V

7 Likes

12s6p 30q with 8a charging

When I transfer to a 12s4p P42a I’d like to charge at 16a, with two 8a chargers in parallel maybe

3 Likes

300W is a lot you guys… while you sleep

while I watch it I would charge at 100A

6 Likes

Server power supplies can be like $20 for 1500W+ too, requires some DIY and they’re massive but reliable

4 Likes