Another Geardrive Development in the Esk8verse

I do like the idea of having some straight cut steel gears, but I can more effectively keep costs lower if I only produce a single range of 4 gears rather than two ranges of 4 gears.

I like regular accessible tools. I don’t want to have to buy a blowtorch, or use it on my precious boards :sweat_smile:

I imagine that I am not alone

3 Likes
  • alone
  • not alone

0 voters

2 Likes

Ok, just take a regular lightener, readily available and probably in every household already there.
You definitely do less harm to the pinion and the motor with heating up the pinion instead of forcing it off without heat.
Just my opinion thou.

2 Likes

this

2 Likes

Hypertruck mounts?

1 Like

So far, so good! Haha

That’s not a bad point I guess. I really just want something that’s going to be as easy as possible to remove a gear in case I mangle one somehow or want to spontaneously change the ratio one afternoon. Heating up the gear makes it just a little bit more annoying for me and I feel like I would procrastinate more if I knew I had to :rofl:

Eventually probably. I am in fairly preliminary stages of development right now. I’ll test my trampa truck mount when it comes in, and then I’ll work on mbs and hyper trucks

1 Like

Waiting on the gears to arrive, but the case arrived today! I’m going to 3d print some updated herringbone gears to see how it all fits together.

I also made some spacers for my fatboy nano gear drive on my longboard

18 Likes

Printed some gears. Will make a few small tweaks, but this is how it looks.

11 Likes

Now I’m left wondering if you could just take two sets of helical gears, and put one side on reversed, for a makeshift herringbone. Same with the pinion- you could just cut one in half and reverse one side. You could even have a gap between them. You would have to design for it, of course. I suppose they would have to be on the narrow side.

2 Likes

Don’t you forget my 6 gear drive…

Maybe technically only 4 gears still but I digress.

13 Likes

I imagine having the lateral forces of each helical going inwards towards a spacer in the gap would be better/safer than trying to spread apart but that seems like a neat way to get past the alignment issues caused by fixing 2 together meshed.

2 Likes

I would be interested to see it, but it would add too much complexity for my liking. I always just thought that if I can find a factory with the capability of making a herringbone gear, why not just make a herringbone gear? splining two helicals together would be a solution that I would explore if I could only find a factory that could do only helicals. But even then, the design for it would have to be VERY tightly controlled

okay so 4 is for sure the record to beat then? haha

1 Like

Yes. Perhaps they may even retain self alignment.

edit: I wish I could cut my own gears, That would be amazing.

1 Like

I guess they use those expensive CNC grinding machines for helicals and herringbone type gears, or heck, I dunno.

Honestly I’m a bit nervous to see how the herringbone gears turn out when they arrive. Hopefully they aren’t horrible.

If they suck, maybe I’ll look into this double helical design that everyone is speculating about

2 Likes

I’m really intrigued by this method of cutting them via a lathe. Doubt you could do helicals but I could at least make straight cuts.

Ps this guy’s YouTube channel and humor are amazing.

9 Likes