All new 2019 vesc-tool

I thought it should.

It works in my Ubuntu computer (16.04)

Just downloaded the latest Android app version 2.01 and flashed the new v4.00 FW onto my Flipsky VESC :+1:

All seems good so far, solve the motor cogging issue when applying brakes on a standstill :smirk:

2 Likes

Can’t wait to try on the ebike and see if it improves low speed performance

4 Likes

Same here. Just watched the video. Pretty cool how the non-linearity occurs at different points for north and south pole and that can be used to tell them apart.

Would like to hear how people find it, since apparently it does not work at high motor currents?

2 Likes

From what I understand it depends on the motor, the problem is that if the torque producing current is enough to saturate the stator, there isn’t room for additional saturation to determine the position

Another important point is that this wont be a problem with your settings of max amps, it would only surface if you jam the throttle from low speed (under a few mph). It isn’t that there isn’t any more room to saturate the stator, it’s simply that the saturation waveform of the applied current gets super-imposed on the Lq and Ld inductance measurements and this causes the signal to start looking a bit funny. If you could make a theoretical model to calculate what the saturation would do to the motor and subtract that signal out you’d do reasonably well, but that requires quite a bit of information on the motor (my guess would be full FEA).

I wonder if there might not be a way to run detection and physically measure that signal… but the current controller changes excitation of the motor so quickly I’m not sure how reasonable that idea is in relation to the measurement time of the 16 samples.

5 Likes

Thx @deodand for visiting and spending time with Benjamin in this awesome coding session.
HFI is really beneficial in so many ways.
I think it’s time to open a VESC-Tool 2.0 thread.

5 Likes

I just changed from ackmaniac to the new vesc tool. When I did motor setup using the app, I also entered the gearing and wheel size. When I got it going, it is showing the speed at 80mph and it should be abiut 28mph. I can’t find where you can check to make sure I entered the gearing right without doing the motor setup again. Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

Motor cfg> additional info> gear ratio

@Trampa I was trying to swap over from ackmaniac to the VESC tooo but when it tries to erase the firmware it seems to quit. Specifically it says “erasing buffer failed” any suggestion to get around this. Thanks for any help.

I spent about 3hrs trying the same thing, then I found this post.

You need to take the current firmware and install it using the ackmaniac tool.

2 Likes

How do you choose which side is the “master” side of a esc and which side would be the slave side?
I would like to do this wirelessely with the app if possible. Or if this is doable within the metr app.

The master side is the one with the bluetooth dongle.

1 Like

Anyway to switch that around?
I’m using an uart remote so having the master side on the bluetooth module isn’t helping much :/…

Master = UART remote
Slave = BT module. (Metr pro)

I have this setup on one of my boards. Works pretty well. Make sure you set App > general > UART. I believe UART is set as a default now.

Unless you have the wand, it “acts” as a receiver and BT all in one.

1 Like

I use the wand in which the receiver is also a bluetooth module.
In case you use a ppm receiver it does not matter where you connect it but I don’t know about a uart remote other than the wand.

You can set your UART remote parameters under “nunchuk” (old vesct tool) or “Vesc wand” (newer vesc tool). They are both under APP.

1 Like

Hey, I was wondering does firmware 3.62 also have this issue? (never got the warning sign)
or is this something that happened on 3.63.

Use 3.65 and higher. I’m not 100% sure about 3.62.