Airline compliance and NESE

I’m not getting what you want to do but I’m pretty sure a NESE 2s4p is absolutely fine, you can even open the case to show them the single cells with their printed labels, way more transparency than everything else.
The only thing that could be improved would be a insulation “case” for the single modules, but simple bags should do the trick (combined with the tpu nipples)

This is super useful.

I guess in theory you could have a 12s12p that breaks down into 36 x 1s4p modules and as long as they are insulated and protected from shorts it should be fine to fly with this in either your carry on or hold luggage.

Would be interested to see someone try this. I have been thinking about a pack design that would theoretically allow this fairly easily.

2 Likes

I hope someone tries this - it almost sounds to easy :smile:

1 Like

IMHO the more OEM it looks with a proper sticker info on it, the easier it will be to carry.

Some companies limit the number of <100wh batteries as well, depends if you’re flying solo US or international.

You can for example do 4x 12s1p of Samsung 20S, Max charge at 49.98v and sit at 99.96wh / pack. Each pack will pack 30A continuous no sweat. Total 12s4p 399wh 120A cont. for your ride.

If you decide to go with NESE, I have a full hardware set for a 12s4p that I’ll sell ya pretty cheap!

I decided to not use it in my build since I got a spot welder pretty cheap

2 Likes

18650 or 20700 size?
@Itsmedant

1 Like

So 3d print a adapter that has a switch and led to fit to a NEST Modual

Then you be carrying 5* 2s4p tourches with 89wh and insain run time

1 Like

You think it’d work if you used slightly bigger 150Wh packs but print custom turnigy stickers that say 99Wh?

No dude that is highly illegal and so unethical

4 Likes

DONT FUCKING DO THIS. its illegal. like go to prison and have a soap daddy illegal.

2 Likes

alright fair enough

Sorry I sold them last week! But they were 18650!

1 Like

this is exactly what I’ve done. Keep the original lipos how they came and work around that. I’ve designed mine so it’s hardwired into a bms, however if i go overseas i can open up the board, unplug the batteries within 10mins, check the board in, and take the batteries with me on the flight. at the other end, open her up, wack the packs in (main negative first of course, then main negative groups balance leads first) and off i go

2 Likes

Ive completed my NESE 12s4p build!
I decided to do a doublestack version.
Ive got it all wired up in the enclosure with jst connectors for the charge/LCD display/ and power switch. All modules are labeled, as well as balance wires and their locations.

4 Likes

Just got through security with 5 2s3p NESE modules full of cells. No questions asked :slightly_smiling_face:

Related anectode: I had to make my check in bag lighter by 1kg, and I took out a single, small motor, that did the trick, but they pulled it out of my hands, talked a bit, came back and told me to take out my massive bag of clothes instead :man_facepalming:

6 Likes