AFLUX TWIN : FLUX AT2 : HYPERTRUCK : LS HELIOS : 12s10p P42 : FS 63100 : DAVEGA

Been a long time since I bothered to do a build post, but I wanted to log this one as it’s probably the one I’m most proud of. It’s my 7th official build and as I’m rapidly approaching the big 5-0 it also represents my mid life crisis build - though I probably went through that 10 years ago already.

To save scrolling down to see the actual finished job, here it is on it’s maiden trip out in the spring sunshine a couple of weeks ago.

It all started around the time of Black Friday nonsense when there was actually a decent deal coming out of EBS on the deck and enclosure. Having never built without PU wheels I hesitated a little before deciding to jump down the rabbit hole and start buying all the bits I’d need to complete.

Over next couple of weeks the basics arrived :

I don’t build batteries and as such don’t consider myself a full DIYer, but I am OK at assembling stuff. To that end I entrusted the battery to be proffessionally built by Rad Board Customs in UK. I’ve known Lee for a while now and he’s built plenty of other packs for me over the years. His work is excellent and I’m lucky to have him less than 20 mins drive away from where I live.

It’s a 12s10p P42 pack with Smart BMS.

He even printed out a BMS bridge with my build’s name on it

All very good so after buying a Hoyt Puck for the remote I could set about bolting everything together. Ah, yes I also decided to get a DAVEGA since everyone seems to be adding these nowadays. Naturally this had to be blue as well.

My attention was drawn to the Batwing case for the Hoyt, so needed to print one of these out too. The first attempt looked poor in my opinion as I simply printed it out horizontally. Changing the angle to 45 degrees went a long way to solving the tree-ring effect.

Now for the lights. Given I’d bought Hypertrucks for no reason other than they looked nice, I considered the Lacroix lights at first… for about 30 seconds anyway until I saw the price of them. Now I’m sure they are OK, but they are also generic and available for 20% or less of the price they wanted. The metal mounts on the otherhand are good, and whilst pricey as well I figured I’d buy these at least and to fit my own lights instead. The rears were easy as just needed to CAD and print a small enclosure for the XLite ‘smart’ Tail lights. These are about £15 each. The fronts posed a different issue as they needed a trickier mount designing, and also run at 8.4v. Couldn’t find a 72v - 8.4v Buck converter, so ended up going 72-12v > 12-8.4v before feeding them from the main pack. The switch is a ‘soft switch’ utilising the discharge tab on the BMS App. Works well :+1:

Rears

Fronts

Everything else was just basic assembly, and finally some grip tape! I opted to not festoon this one with a giant Aphex Twin logo, as the Flux one looks lovely on the AT2 version. I had never cared for the IceCream cone on the AT1, though I know some people like it.

Bench testing was made easier with a block and tackle - definite overkill, but useful if you already have one (whic I have for lifting 200KG+ injection mould tooling).

The DAVEGA

Pretty easy to fit once you commit to drilling through your lovely new deck…

Griptape. Had wanted to do something a bit more intricate here, but ended up just doing this. Still need some inspiration before I rip this off and try something different. I think it looks OK, but that’s it.

Time for a few out in the wild images :

One thing I wasn’t prepared for was the squeal of the 63100s. It only happens at 90 - 100% RPM, and I’ve read on here that this is normal. It’s annoying, but when I start adding larger motor pinions then my sweet spot of 30 - 35mph should be quieter. Currently running 16/72 gearing, but I’ve got 18, 20 & 22t pinions in the parts drawer. Just waiting on longer belts to arrive.

To that end the top speed isn’t that great right now. No more than 35mph. That will change soon :slight_smile:

Full Spec below :

AT2 Deck + Enclosure
HYPERTRUCKS w/Lacroix light mounts only
Land Surf HELIOS wheels + 165mm tyres
12s10p P42 + Smart BMS
XENITH
HOYT Puck / Batwing Case
DAVEGA X
XLite Rear Lights x2
XML T6 Front Lights x2

I’m happy with how it turned out, and would like to thank everyone who helped either directly or indirectly with my choices of parts and inspiration.

54 Likes

I hope Aphex Twin is sponsoring you :upside_down_face:

Fuckin sick ass build bro, beautiful work!!

9 Likes

Awesome build man! Really clean and I love the color scheme

I picked up a pair of those headlights and the beam seems really direct (think, spotlight), have you ridden with them at night yet?

2 Likes

Cheers ! I know what you mean about the beam pattern. I’ve ridden at dusk, but not full nighttime. They are not bad, and i quite like how the beams move when carving.

However these lights are really a stopgap until another set of T6s turn up. The next set are blue anodised dual Led and essentially the same as the HyBeams, just from Alibaba. Will just plug them into the socket at front of battery enclosure and see if these have a wider throw pattern.

4 Likes

Been waiting to see a thread for this. I really like the grip tape. How did you cut out the Flux logo? Xacto knife? I want to do something with purple grip tape for my flux V1 deck around the icecream.

1 Like

Thanks! For the tape I literally just used tracing paper, pencil and scissors. Was like being back at school again :rofl:

2 Likes

Really nice job!, everything is so well put together.

1 Like

Very nice!

Did you have flipsky tap for the 30mm mounting pattern?

1 Like

Cheers :+1:

Actually I got the mounts drilled precisely at an engineering shop round the corner from my workshop. Just gave the owner some beer money :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d overlooked the hole pattern on the FS 63100s and uttered a few choice words when I initially offered them up to the Hypermounts!!

Just used Blue load spreading washers instead so still looks OK. The OG 30mm holes are countersunk into the mounts

4 Likes

Huh, I’m not sure why I’ve never seen anyone else do that. Seems obvious now :sweat_smile: Nice!

2 Likes

Aren’t some of those washers kinda soft. Like wouldn’t they distort over time with load

2 Likes

Same here. Also keeps your mounts from getting chewed up. Looks great.

I’ve had these aluminum washers punch through, so I back them with a black steel washer.

3 Likes

I know the concern. I’ve had them punch through on wooden decks by overtightening them as the wood deformed. But metal on flat metal should be fine i would think.

3 Likes

Really nice build. And those fat tyres are perfect for it.
How comfy are they, and what psi you running on them?

1 Like

Thanks. They’re pretty good to be honest but then I’ve really only ever ridden PU wheels before. Definitely soak up the tarmac better, even than the 72A 110mm TB blues on my other main build. I’ve got them at 40psi at the moment .

2 Likes

Check this out:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004WLCLQY

1 Like

Would you say that the blue hypertruck baseplates are required for decent ground clearance or would the red ones work as well? Ive seen both used and the red seems to be roughly the height of the MBS ones that the board ships with.

1 Like

I think the red ones would be fine, but I’m running lower profile tires at 165mm over 205mm stock so I’m lower anyway than i would be otherwise.

I was also intent on getting the blue ones as they matched the theme i was going for :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

im on a lonestar and it never touches anything. somehow even those thick speed bumps in parking lots

I really wish I could just copy paste this…

So where do you even go from here dude!!!

1 Like