Adjustable Stability [Storm of Brains]

Adjustable dampers, or take the 3 link trucks and put the connecting links on a linear servo slide. As the links move it changes the effective turn ratio.

I’m into this concept! Here’s a quick thought on how I’d approach it.

Using the spur gear you linked, but actuate it with a worm drive on a high torque servo. Probably enough torque to be able to crank down on the nut. This approach also keeps the overall package size fairly compact and could be mounted with a 3d printed jig. Then using @RipTideSports KranK would be perfect because of their pressure-hardening qualities. You could could a large degree of variability with 1.5-2 rotations. Then like you said before, dynamically adjust the nut position (bushing hardness) based on speed with a little closed loop mechatronic system.

Hope you make a go of it!

EDIT- Thinking about it more, the hardest part may be a sufficiently responsive system. Our boards accelerate pretty damn fast, would have to do some prelim testing to see if this system could even keep up. That said, it ~feels~ viable.

EDIT EDIT - lol yep, variation discussed in the other topic on truck angles.

5 Likes

As far as the dampener goes, I dont think this is the same effect. The dampener will dampen the effect. It has inou on the rate of change of the deflection angle, where as bushing hardness is probably mostly proportional to the deflection angle itself

Thank for the mockup! That was my first thought.
@bonesaw.

So the reason I went to a linear actuator was that I guessed at the torque figure required. Even high torque variations of stepper motors (more torque at low RPM) only produce 1.5 NM or so. As a guess or so we need about 50 NM of torque on the nut in its tightest setting. Which works out to a gearing of 60:1 or higher.
This is NOT even a ballpark really though because I made that torque spec up based in intuition alone.
once I get an actual torque figure We will see.

Heres a stepper motor that would be usable. This with an arduino and a stepper shield will make this a simple project. Heres a relevant gearbox. Bit bulky for our purposes But is capable of 1.2 NM times a gear ratio of 20 so about 25 NM

4 Likes

This thing is one 3D printed adapter away from perfection

This is wild. If you pull this off, legend.

4 Likes

Purchased one of these to get my hands on it.
See if its at all feasible to use this. its bulkier than Id but worth looking at physically
and its prime so returns are easy

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Reducer-NEMA23-Stepper-Gearbox/dp/B06XGYSXSQ/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=amazon%2Bstepper%2Bmotor%2Bworm%2Bgear&qid=1582068898&sr=8-2&th=1

4 Likes

Got my hands on it. wayyyy too bulky as expected. Ill \post a picture soon. The idea is sound though. 30:1 will be the ratio.

Now its CAD time. Anybody have more experience with this?
I can print stuff out of high grade materials at work. But 3d Cad is not my strength

2 Likes

what do you need help with specifically?

Working out a worm gear / enclosure cad file. I really only use tinker Cad and I’ll give it a shot but I feel like that may be insufficient

2 Likes

I use this for F360

https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=6294804001663532834&appLang=en&os=Win64

1 Like

hmm. let me see if I can get a student version

2 Likes

I didnt read worm gear so that link wont help sorry

You can use this

https://www.rushgears.com/tech-tools/part-search

what trucks are you working with?

I have solidworks open lol If you want help

did not see this lol

me

1 Like

Gonna do calibers for now. They’re what I have and the most common. First thing would be to work out the stepper motor/wormgear model. Then. Laying that on a truck model such that it 1fits 2 attaches to the bushing nut.
After that is a housing/mount for the whole thing.

That order is made up but it seems like a good way to start

1 Like

yesh as someone experienced with this I never order something without the CAD file. It’s on amazon sometimes even. You can try to find one out there too.

How many rotations of the nut do you expect to need? or just 1?

Question:

Do you have a solid models so I can use it in an assembly I’m creating in Solidworks?

Answer:

Sorry, we do not have a solid models

dickheads

Its a bolt actuallly we should be careful with terminology.
I used the wrong word.

1 Like

So to be clear, we Do NOT want to use that.
The idea is to build our own smaller version of that

thats funny though

1 Like

the nut on the kingpin? is on a bolt so you are tightening the bolt too yeah

1 Like