adding temp sensor to motor

Gday All - I’ve been looking for a while, but can seem to find a post or youtube clip to explain what i need to do to add a temp sensor to my sensored 6374kv motors. What do i need to buy and how do i go about adding it in?

Cheers Simon

1 Like

The actual solution aside, what is your reasoning for adding a temperature sensor? Is it for something non-esk8 related?

you need a 10k thermistor and wire it ground-sensor-sensor wire port

2 Likes

He’ll also need a way of securing it to the stator. I read somewhere that you can use high-temp gasket stuff. Or just some high temp epoxy.

I have thermistors on the way and will be doing this to my hummies real soon. Think im gonna use the gasket stuff

2 Likes

keen to use metre pro to lower battery charge in the event i need to store board for long periods of time. You cant use this function unless motors have a temp gauge

1 Like

Oh like using the motors to discharge the battery? I had no idea the Metr could do that

Correct. i mean you could just go for a skate and drain it a bit, but if you live in Melbourne Aus the weather is pretty shit. Nothing worse than running the board on the bench with the wheels free spinning.

1 Like

You will also need to know the beta value of the specific thermistors you will be using to enter this into the VESC tool. Make sure that the thermistors you buy are advertised with their beta value. Thanks to @Pedrodemio for learnding me things.

images - 2021-01-18T090557.213

I’m from Melbourne too! Represent!

6 Likes

What country are you in?

You can buy this

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/murata-electronics/NXRT15XV103FA1B040/3900395

and enter 3989K into the motor / advanced tab on the variESC tool

Install that as close to your motor windings as possible (touching them) with high-temp compounds as @glyphiks mentioned

Wire it from GND to TEMP

2 Likes

i just used the epoxy putty i used to battle harden them, as in reality your not going to be pushing your motors temperature terribly high imo

2 Likes

Oh nice dude… Just waiting on a battery from marsen and then new ride will be up. Should tee up a ride

1 Like