Acrylic enclosure?

They are made, not found.

4 Likes

and where are these made exactly? asking for my bord

wherever you can find one, of course. x.x

And what do you think about this one:

?

I don’t see a material stated, which is sketchy. The wording of the descriptions a bit odd. But it looks pretty standard. Give it a shot, if ya want. Step on it to test durability xD

Also the guy who left a review thinking it was supposed to come with a battery got me. Lmao. Yes. 40 dollar enclosure plus battery. That makes sense.

I have had a few different clear enclosures and i can say with confidence that an acrylic under tray is a bad idea.

on my first build i made a buck i could vac form my own enclosures off.

Acrylic i had to hand was the first attempt which was fully smashed during removal

Second attempt was the same but in 3mm PETG

was fair strong and much more robust.

Everything mounted up great and i used load spreading washers to . . . . spread the load.

I underestimated how hard esk8 vibration is.

Within 3 week i was starting to see major failures on some of the bolting points.

Made these extended load spreaders to try help out.

Also had a think acrylic ESC enclosure.

First crash the board flipped and that smashed right off.

New esc enclosure used CNC polycarb base.

Even wit the load spreaders the enclosure was deteriorating quickly.

eventually that battery died due to water ingress.

This experience put me off making anything clear until last year when i decided to give it another go for a 18s top box. kinda wanted to show off the 18S pack as no one had more than 12s at the time.

Super happy with how this turned out but it was very heavy. i did some serious weight reduction in the bottom as you can see.

Its worth considering that whilst poly carb is very strong its also very dense, so a 10mm sheet weighs the same as it would of it were a 5mm sheet of aluminium. The clear look can be deceiving.

This case has been reliably working on my board for over a year now and has take some big tumbles in its time with little more than a few scratch to show for it.

TLDR:
Acrylic is shit.
PETG is a little less shit.
Polycarb is where its at but its heavy.

17 Likes

Sexy! (Your stuff always is though)

2 Likes

Not quite as dense as Al (1.2g/cc vs 2.7g/cc), but definitely a fairly heavy plastic.
PC is also really sensitive to some solvents and organic compounds, and will crack badly if exposed to them while under stress, even at low concentrations.
These crack-promoters include threadlocking compounds, CA glue, and machine oils that are sometimes left on fasteners after manufacturing.

3 Likes

good catch, i thought it was heavier than that, certainly feels it.

2 Likes

A bit too pricey for my already way over budget first build :wink:

Otherwise known as completely normal on this forum…

3 Likes

You guys keep using this word, “budget?” and I don’t know what it means.

4 Likes

:exploding_head:

6 Likes

I know im necroposting but id love to see a game cube case top mount…

1 Like

Could be an entire thread of interesting items to repurpose into top mount enclosures.

Game consoles are a great choice.

2 Likes

Already thinking of my second build being a game cube themed ATB…

1 Like

How about an old Betamax?

1 Like

I bet most folks here don’t know what that is without looking it up :rofl:

It’s pronounced Baymax :upside_down_face:

We’re all slaves to the inevitable march of time.

2 Likes

Ballon top mount enclosures.

Hot air balloon esk8.

Practicality.