A123 LiFePO4 Cells - the iron man’s battery

which 14s lifepo4 bms?

1 Like

It’s just a litechpower bms. They have plenty of options

If you guys aren’t using a charge only smart bms, your really missing out.

Being able to see the individual cell voltages and your actual charge rate and seeing that it IS actually balancing, are all peace of mind things that $10-$20 more will give you.

Not to mention you can set it up so the bms charges you only 80% and still do balancing. You can set what voltage starts balance and where to stop.

It’s like going back to hobbyking ESCs instead of VESCs…

This is one of our battery packs below.

3 Likes

This is one of the LTT power ones right? I really wanna pick one up for my build

https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product-category/smart-bms/

They start as low as $40…

1 Like

LTT smart BMS’s are so 2018! It’s all about the ANTBMS’s now!

Would you mind explaining how these are better?

I just stayed away from Bluetooth because from a distance,
they all seemed like poorly made Chinese bms with Bluetooth slapped on the package and a piss poor android only app to accommodate.
Do you run the LLT smart bms on iOS @evoheyax ?

1 Like

Well the big thing is one model of bms can do 7s to 20s voltage without requiring an entirely different model.

Higher current capabilities, proper precharge circuit, better app options for adjustment, double the balancing current. Basically it does everything the LTT BMS’s do and more.

I also run my BMS discharge and the ANTBMS’s are smaller than the LTT ones (unless you run charge only but at that point the bms should be external with the charger IMO)

Yes, I run an iOS English version of the app someone made and uploaded, because the official one is only in mandarin.

So far, I’ve been running one of these in my race board for the last 2 years, been going well so far. Always keeps them balanced, fun to watch when your charging at 12a.

2 Likes

This bad boi?

yep! thats the one!

Those actually sound great. What’s your experience been? Is the app any good?

1 Like

So there’s actually a couple apps I’ve found to work with it VBMS and mayi or something along those lines I’ll take some pics here in a sec.

Ooo it’s also got a configurable beeper which is pretty hype. I’ve been trying to hunt down the original creator of these as it supposedly can support CAN and stuff as well but I haven’t had much luck.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing! I’ll get one myself.

1 Like

can you configure them for different chemistry? it looks like they don’t have a 14s lifepo4 model

i just received mine now, i ordered a 14s lion version, and was worried after i ordered because i noticed there were separate lifepo4 versions.

I had put “for lifepo4” in the comments and sent them an email asking about it but didn’t hear anything back.

the one they sent me is labelled 14s lifepo4, 3.2v

1 Like

Just got my ANTBMS, and while I’m pumped that it can cover a larger range of series setups, and it does indeed have a slightly smaller footprint than the LTT BMS, it is nearly twice as tall.

3 Likes

. Strangely now I can get a voltage but no current. First in parallel with 3s lipo but only got it up to 3.6 and then shorted with nickel tabs soldered to 12 awg I stamped on. There were sparks before but now just a voltages and no current. I don’t see how that’s possible. I read a voltage on the meter but I’ll short it with anything except my tongue and no more sparks. It expanded and

the valve in the center turned from blue to orange and broke

I want to know how safe these cells are. What would be the worst case scenario? Maybe unlikely the worst case the whole pack could dump into a single cell Changed to in parallel, give it some time to way overcharge and then short. If you drill through a cell it will go catch fire but I want to simulate the worst case purely electrical fault test

4 Likes

Nice! I’ll keep watching your experiments!

2 Likes