A123 LiFePO4 Cells - the iron man’s battery

that is pretty high, let me know what you wanna do

1 Like

I paid an absurd $65 shipping… but that still makes it at about NZD4.20 / cell, which is still a great deal.

1 Like

?
The energy density really isn’t that bad. Each of these cells is 2.5 ah at 50 amps continous. Find a lion cell that does 50a cont.
On the other hand, you say 20 min fully charged… these batteries don’t like being forced power like any other cell. Sure they are safer and can deal with temps better, but charging at 1c (so roughly an hour of charging) is what is deemed acceptable for these cells along with most other rechargeable battery chems unlike the characteristics of few like the graphene lined lipos I am aware of. In a 4p that would be 10a charging for a pack built of these cells.
Never the less can’t beat the worth of these cells at this price

@Rob I love your enthusiasm but let me give you a (mostly) friendly check. Please stop talking with authority on subjects you know almost nothing about. At least do a little reading before you spout off a bunch of incorrct information. It’s frustrating for the informed, and potentially dangerous for those less informed.

8 Likes

They have around 100 Wh/kg, other high energy density Li-ion cells are at ~250Wh/kg

As in respect to fast charging:

wevj-06-00653 (1).pdf (840.8 KB)

6 Likes

TL;DR 10C (25A) charge no problem after 1000 cycles. 20C (50A) charge is fine. 100A is fine. wtf. Charging my 12s2p pack, I run out of wall power and the cells are just fine.

8 Likes

I was just going off of their sheet and recommended charge amps. What I was saying and recommending is not ‘potentially dangerous’.
it’s way better than rapid charging your batteries like you recommend… but I’m somehow bad for recommending you treat battery’s nice.
but ok hate me idk.

The energy density really isn’t that bad.

Wrong

Each of these cells is 2.5 ah at 50 amps continous.

Wrong

these batteries don’t like being forced power like any other cell.

Wrong

charging at 1c (so roughly an hour of charging) is what is deemed acceptable for these cells along with most other rechargeable battery chems

Wrong

Never the less can’t beat the worth of these cells at this price

This is not wrong

I was just going off of their sheet and recommended charge amps.

Wrong (spec sheet often different from reality)

What I was saying and recommending is not ‘potentially dangerous’.

In this case yes, but the manner in which you stated many many incorrect facts, in several threads…

but ok hate me idk.

Wrong, I tried and am still trying to keep it friendly. Check your facts more, don’t shitpost as much. Everyone will be happier including yourself.

8 Likes

Ok I am wrong x4-5
:handshake:

2 Likes

True, I’ll correct it not to mislead anyone.

IMO14s is even better, as it’s fully charged voltage (using 3.6V) happens to be exactly the same as 12s Li-ion, 50.4V. So you can share the chargers for both!

1 Like

Oh that’s really cool! 14S it is.

1 Like

You also can charge 12S LiFePO4 with 10S li-ion chargers (42.0V) :sunglasses:

Just make sure you occasionally charge to 43.8V to keep the cells balanced

1 Like

That means that you need a charger for that voltage, which I was trying to avoid… I already have too many chargers lying around. Maybe its time for a smart one…

2 Likes

Yes but if you have many chargers at home and just a 42V at work, you can get by :ok_hand:

Don’t need another 43.8V at work

3 Likes

yes, DPS chargers ftw, the only charger I use, for everything, just got a DPS8005 to charge up to 18S :grin:

2 Likes

I am considering the DPS5020, 6006 and 8005.
But also looking at the 100V cycle satiatior… it’s so compact and versatile.

1 Like

whoever won actually overpaid. Ha!

Still not sure that they are A123 cells but, maybe.

4 Likes

It’s still a worse deal than the battery hookup ones, even if they were to contain A123 cells.

2 Likes

Oh true, I didn’t think to compare them to the 12s4p packs good point. $10 difference and you get a lot more.

1 Like

Trying to figure out an enclosure - Would you mind to crack your 12s4p pack open and measure the dimensions of the brick? That would be lovely!

1 Like