A Three-wheel Build: 13s4p Custom deck

You would need a smaller and wider back wheel to get the right geometry. If you made your own board you could customize the camber/rocker of the fork and this would solve your turning issues. Don’t give up. You’re on the right track.

1 Like

I will try that next thanks.

how are they not available with a 4 wheels? or 2 or 1?

I forgot to ask. Are you riding with the big wheel in front or back?

1 Like

Back. I need lower kv for front motors though.

@Kingdom421 If you could eliminate the front-motors all together that would better exploit the three-wheel design. One motor, a single VESC and big power is what it’s all about. This would probably give you more truck options and along with that more front-end geometries as well.

Here is a wheel that I’m looking to use on my off-road build.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Electric-Bicycle-Motor-bicicleta-electrica-60V_60779211149.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.a8ca427a2ikND0

1 Like

@Venom121212 From the looks of it, you seem like the type that is crafty enough to make your own customs Decks. That would take your designs to a whole new level. If you have any questions about it. I’ll happily share what I’ve learned about making custom decks for 3sk8s. I can’t wait to see what you come up with for a VESC-based board:)

1 Like

we have ooooooone ARC 200 ESC left that works… HMMMMMMMMMMMMM…

2 Likes

@tomiboi thanks for the advice and the link for that tire. The tire i have is very slow thats why i had the other motor mounted. I will make another attempt soon using that new tire maybe 3 wheel drive

@Kingdom421 With that three-wheel set up, you might be able to jump the Grand Canyon… or at least be able to drift like a mofo:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@longhairedboy If you take the plunge and start a build, I’ll happily offer whatever advice that I have to give :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So, it’s me resurrecting this ancient topic… It’s been a while since I’ve posted something…

Recently I’ve been thinking about a 3 wheel board, since we have the standard 4 wheels and some 2 wheel examples. Why not a 3 wheeler?

I was thinking about a hub motor in the back, dkp in front, with rubber tires. Suppose it can be made nicely so it can be a light, and that can be easily carried around.

So, is there a fundamental flaw in 3w option? Why aren’t these more widespread?

Thanks,
Dani

Ps
I think I saw a commercial french 3w board, someone has info to share?

1 Like

The downside is that you need a special deck to pull it off and the design doesn’t work well with all trucks. Additionally, you don’t get to play with all the DIY Esk8 toys that are available.
Otherwise, the design has plenty of pros. The biggest one is that it simplifies the design of an Esk8.

1 Like

You should give it a go and see what happens.

1 Like

Personally, any time I have ever gotten speed wobbles and crashed, I feel that it starts at the back truck. Experimenting around this last year with different shock blocks and preloads on my emtb has confirmed that for the way I ride, I can adjust the front as loose as possible and still hit 40mph. If I loosened up my rear more than a half screw turn, it got squirrelly quick. Specifically on moments when I was mid turn and hit uneven pavement. Bumpsteer.

I’d love to see a proper 3 wheel setup with a really divey front end feel and a locked in rear wheel.

3 Likes

I dont see why you cant achieve the same stability with four wheels - just run a 0 degree rear truck, that way it doesnt contribute to any steering, and then bias up the front baseplate angle

Hmmmmm… i have never built a 3 wheeled esk8 :thinking::thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Use the floatwheel Cannoncore motor for lols. I could imagine its not much more money than other hub options. Chain drive would be dope also. Hmm a tire that wide might be a pain to fit a build around.

It’d be fun but i wouldn’t do it. If i’m gonna have one more board, it’ll be a radium board

2 Likes

Man, I never thought I’d see this thread again :joy: this is ancient.
Doing a strange “novelty” build seems like a right of passage for DIYers. There’s always something to be learned from this type of build. I highly recommend it.

5 Likes