A Look At Surf Rodz: Spacers, Axles and Bearings

Forgot to thank @mmaner for the valuable research on 10mm spacers and bearings. I bought his three best suggestions for my 10mm SurfRodz axles months ago: 30mm & 10mm long Spacers from aluminumspacers.com; 10x22x6 Rubber Sealed Bearings 6900 2RS from FastEddy; and for small spacing incrementals I bought the 1mm Thick Copper Flat Washers from Amazon.

4 Likes

No worries hommie.

3 Likes

I think I may have experienced this, maybe the faulty wheel bearing caused the motor bearing to also fault. There is resistance and clicking when hand rotating the motor. Very cool thread and good advice on the Fast Eddy’s, thank you.

1 Like

Seems I need a 3mm (callipers measured 2.83mm) spacer between kegle wheel bearing and FatBoy pulley bearing. My google search only seemed to bring up 5mm or wider.

Is pushing a axle bolt throu 3 bearings 2 10mm spaces and then 3 copper washers going to be very fiddly or is there any 3mm options out there in the EU

What material should thay be? I’m guessing spacers are aluminium and speed rings brass but I have no idea why

This just helped me so much. Thanks again!

1 Like

Found collar bonnet riser bushes

10ID 16OD in 3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15,20,25mm width only 6082 T6 this is a slightly harder aluminium we use in the UK compared to 6061 used in the USA but close enough in engineering to class as a equivalent. Unsure what Surf Rods use them selves

3 Likes

Could you supply a link?

Thank you to the original author for this thread! I just ordered a set of trucks with 10mm axles and I wasn’t sure where to buy spacers, this was super helpful.