'84 Ford Laser EV Conversion Project

Was hoping it would be a little lower.

http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=1PV5135
So for comparison, this is an AC induction motor from Siemens that was used in the Ford eTransit van project. They do 47kw continuous and can peak far higher. Up to 297 Newton Meters at 300v and 400 amps. They retail for $2695usd before shipping. A Prius gen2 transaxle can do ~85kw and 500+nm in EV mode. Two MG2s siamesed (or paralleled… :thinking: ) would be 100kw and 800nm, crazy power for what could be a 120kg motor depending on how they’re packaged, and costing under $500 for two prius gen2 transaxles. We are living in a great time to be building electric vehicles

3 Likes

For the price, you could do 4 motor 4wd…

Packaging those and the controllers is a different matter

2 Likes

I have definitely considered an MG2 per wheel. As you stated, packaging would be a big problem. Have a gear reduction could work, and I have seen gear reduction per wheel on a production vehicle before (can’t remember which) so I know it works. Controllers would simply be 2 Gen3 inverters

1 Like

I know Rivian (not production yet, but it’s the one that comes to mind) uses it as a party trick to do tank style turns

and apparently the polestar and audi etron (from https://electrek.co/2019/11/11/rivians-quad-motor-torque-vectoring-sets-high-bar-for-tesla-cybertruck/ )

3 Likes

Very cool feature, would be great for doing a quick Uturn. Handling is more dynamic with torque vectoring so its a great addition to vehicles. I think Rivian’s styling is atrocious. Would love to implement some sort of torque vectoring here but I think that would be better saved for a larger vehicle (Landcruiser 80series conversion…)

1 Like

prius specs

So I found this table, exactly describing the specs of the transaxle that I am using in my conversion, where was this the last few months. With a final drive ratio of ~4(trying to confirm this) and with a max RPM of 10k, with the wheel diameter of the laser of 572mm we get a final theoretical maximum speed of 269km/hr…

4 Likes

Yeah well my skateboard is way faster then that

2 Likes

The original car was rated for 171km/hr so I genuinely think speed wobbles of the entire chassis might be a problem at 250+

5 Likes

With such a difference between these numbers, I would be worried about how much efficiency you are going to be loosing vs the prius drivetrain. Will be interesting to see.

Have you seen the yumcha in wheel electric motor conversions… #Aliexpress AU $845.75 | QS Motor E-car 273 6000W 45H V3 Electric car single shaft hub motor

0 to 60 by August.
2 Likes

Since you seem to be having trouble finding a way to ship batteries from the US to Aus any reason why you haven’t reached out to this AUS based buy who builds large packs? I wish he was in Canada as he appears to make great packs.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38252

Hoping late to the party, do you have eventually à way to
Retrofit into the gearbox casing the motors?

Would save space under the hood for batteries and charger and stuff. Maybe you can relocate controllers under the dashboard with some serious airflow?

I haven’t seen anyone use them but have been aware of the option. 6KW*4 would make for a pretty slow car but it is an easy way of saving space of course. Torque vectoring would also be possible here

From what I can tell dude uses LiPos exclusively, and his orders are often for customer provided cells. While I love the look of the packs, for something like this project I value my safety and reliability far higher than having more amps. Just checked and the cost of a 48S1P pack of the LiPos he uses is $750 just in cells, which really isn’t very cheap at all. I’ve been looking at used cells currently for testing but in the future I would place a very large battery order once I’ve got the money. I can go out and buy a Nissan Leaf battery right now if I wanted to as there’s someone fairly local with some, simply don’t have a spare $6k for it

So the prius transmission contains both the electric motors as well as the gear reductions to get the whole thing running. Only other thing that I will need to mount in the engine bay is the controller/inverter, which unfortunately I don’t think will fit into the dashboard space. I also need to keep any extra dashboard space for installing a PTC heater and possibly even air conditioning. I’ve been meaning to get into the Laser’s dash to figure out how much space I’m working with. Maybe I’ll do that today

2 Likes

Hey, saw your posts in other threads and thought I’d drop in again to see if I can help.

Any chance you can measure the motor’s resistance and inductance with an RCL meter? That might be one reason why some ESCs have trouble spinning it up, etc.

1 Like

Can this be done with a regular multimeter or do I need to go out and buy an RCL meter? I can do that today if needed

I am looking for a 15kw hub motor for my E motorbike project next year. They do exist but they are expensive and inefficient. In wheel is a cool concept but I don’t see them producing tons of torque.

Resistance can be measured with a multimeter and a power supply yes.

Inductance is kind of hairy, you either need an RCL meter or a very good power supply and oscilloscope.

@Movation agreed on the inefficiency. Also think the rim design is kinda bad.

@Gamer43 I’ll go out and buy an RCL meter today. WIll check in later with results. How am I test? Check those values for each of the phases with each other?

1 Like

Probe across two phases, line to neutral resistance and inductance will be half those values.

Make sure to calibrate the resistance for the resistance in the probe wires.

1 Like

MG1 resistance 800milliohm
MG2 resistance 1ohm
MG1 inductance A-B 4.08mH A-C 2.27mH B-C 2.29mH
MG2inductance A-B 8.37mH A-C 3.83mH B-C 8.25mH

What’s the diagnosis? Too much for our little vescs to handle?

1 Like