8" vs. 9" tires | share your experiences

I just saw this on Facebook :joy: Mike is awesome and needs to be on this forum.

2 Likes

What about 5 1/2inch | 6inch?
The little dude’s feels left out in this comparison.

4 Likes

I don’t think they’re in the same league here lol

8 Likes

Pfffttt (spits soda all over)
Lmfao, never thought of it like this. This is great lmfao.

3 Likes

@Flasher was bragging about his 9” tires and sent me the link, which was a mistake, because once I took the size and searched to see if I could find an off road version, and bingo, now I have 5 9” tires on the way, can’t wait to finally try after all these years

Looks exactly the same as the MBS ones, maybe it’s cheaper, I tried to buy from them in the past, but either they couldn’t ship here or it was more expensive than the tires

US $8.98 20% Off | 9 Inch Off-road Tire And Tube For Scooter Mountain Skateboard Inflation Wheel 2.80/2.50-4 AT Tyre With Inner Tube

5 Likes

aight man i see how it is. you’re uninvited to my birthday party with bouncy castles

2 Likes

Who needs bouncy castles when you have 9” tires?

I will go, but won’t bring you a gift, because the money went to the tires. Unless you like shitty 8” tires that puncture every ride even with slime, I think I have 2 or 3 sets of those

2 Likes

I will have to wait a while to test since just 3 of the 5 tires I ordered arrived, but how better are 9"s on loose dirt and sand?

I kinda get stuck on it all the time, I’m debating if 4wd would help or would just burry all 4 tires

4 Likes

Better for sure but if the sand is too deep then you get stuck, too. At least you can ride longer and further before you get stuck :joy:

Ride faster, more weight on the rear foot and never stop, this should help :man_shrugging:.

3 Likes

This is more of a niche difference, but when I was playing around with hanger width I discovered that I was experiencing a new phenomenon I’ll call “hanger roll”. Its like high siding, but the hanger tries to roll outward as you’re trying to steer inward.

Sparing the details, The taller the wheels the more its going to limit how narrow the axle can be, or how loose the resistance can me.

If somebody has some unusual goals with their setup, or goes even larger with their wheels, its something that can cause some strange and definitely undesirable behavior when making hard turns.

If you went crazy and did 11" tires, you really might need wider hangers.

1 Like

@rich nice, will try it, in the past I had managed a pretty nice sand riding technique, but all these months riding I lost it

@CHAINMAILLEKID i second that, with the Hypertrucks, I can keep the board going straight far longer and easier to control than with the Trampa ones in loose sand

2 Likes

Just bought some 8" tires to swap on to my son’s go kart with a funky sized axle.

2.5 + 4 + 2.5 = 9" tire :thinking:

Yep, definitely 9"

6 Likes

bad ass board. Can I see the full board? Looks like kaly/trampa deck w/ Lacroix falcon gear drives, with mbs rockstar pro 2 nylon hubs but looks like wide than normal 8" tires? Like 65mm 2.5" width? Badass mbs t3’s or trampa tires? And Hypertrucks?!

is the black tire an 8 or 9"? And what’s the wide? 2.5" / 65mm? or deep dish rims? Hyper rims?

The black tire looks to me like a MBS T2 (13120 - 9" MBS T2 Tires (ea.) — MBS.COM). In my experience they are terrible. The compound is way too soft and they wear down like anything.

Seriously if I was you I would 9" Mud Pluggers a try at lower pressure. There’s only so much comfort you will get from 8" tires.

2 Likes

I really like the feel of the MBS tires.
But they wear down really fast for esk8…

3 Likes

Really they’re not made for electric speeds and asphalt, even part-time.

2 Likes

@jpaulglobal 9" MBS clones. About 2.5" wide. Sitting on fivestar rims.

This is why I buy the hard compound knockoffs from Chyna (the aforementioned black tires above). They’re nice for dirt riding but if you hit street at all, they wear thin quick.

General rule of thumb that I’ve found to be 100% accurate:

The darker and shinier the tire looks, the harder the compound usually is.

1 Like

9" mudpluggers at 20psi on dirt roads is a dream.

2 Likes

I have 9" Mud Pluggers on one of my boards and I agree they are fantastic for off-road but if you have any interest in trying them, the 10" Amazon off-road tires I have on this board: Newbee helical 4GS gear drive! - #630 by 2xbass have absolutely incredible traction compared to the Mud Pluggers and they are less expensive too. I run them at 10 psi. The main thing I find is that the Mud Plugger tread easily gets packed with dirt whereas these do not.

1 Like