8" vs. 9" tires | share your experiences

Woo. Bigger is better my friend.

Anything under 9" is like 26" on a mountain bike. Just outdated :wink:

2 Likes

Holy bananas Batman…
These tires are huge…

3 Likes

Also just ordered a set of t2s, after some heavy offroading and a some jumps my “non marring rubber floor tires” randomly blewout while watching tv not riding. Probably ‘damaged the threads’ with impacts if I have that right.

Or it was that beer bottle I ran over…

2 Likes

Have any of you guys seen anyone running 8 inch Kendas on MBS Fivestars?

I wonder if they end up with a stretched profile???

a little bit, but barely. the lip is also bigger, and it sits further up the tire from the bead, holding the tire in even though the hub is physically wider.

2 Likes

Hey kids.

What PSI are you running on your T2s?

I haven’t gone for a ride yet.

But my mind is blown by how much the look of the board changed…

6 Likes

I like mine low at 30-35 psi, but with it they do eat range a lot :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Right?! They beef it up so much more than I expected.

I run mine a bit higher @ 40-45 psi range but I ride road a lot of the time. If I dedicated it to offroad, I’d drop 10 psi

5 Likes

I noticed this on roadies as well. I’m guessing the larger the tire, the more impact tire pressure has. I could move my range from 30 to 60 miles depending on the pressure

5 Likes

Okey.

Had my mayden stroll on the 9s.

I did not take the board on dirt trails because it snowed the other day and it would be ultra soupy and I don’t want to kill this board yet.

So I did some road riding and some wet ass grass riding… A smidge of riding over packed snow on some sidewalks.

I set them at about 33psi.

On the road I think they felt about the same.
I had something that @Venom121212 said in the back of my mind. That you feel more connected to the ground.
I felt that on the road.

I am pretty sure a lot of the grass riding I did would not have been possible on the 8s…

It was sloppy out there.
But for the most part I was able to move along.

So.
A good first impression. But not necessarily blown away.

Looking forward to getting it out there in the woods and on dry grass banks where I think they will really shine.

🖼 Pictures and Nothing Else!

5 Likes

I prefer to suffer and have the range :grin:

Even though I almost exclusively run off road, it’s always 60 PSI, can get bellow 12 Wh/km most of the rides

2 Likes

That’s good to hear! I’m always afraid of popping one so I’ll have to give it a go

2 Likes

These are on the 8” tires, don’t know how the bigger ones will handle

And by the way, the 8” AliExpress ones are awesome, beat traction I ever had, on fine sand it just goes, and on deep mud, I was pretty sure I would be stuck in a giant puddle with a muddy bottom that was up more than half on the wheels, nope, the board just kept going

At this point 4WD is even needed anymore as it stands, will do some more riding as find some really bad sand pits to see if it can go through

1 Like

Awesome to hear dude. I haven’t run into anything my 2wd can’t handle until I hit a bunch of wet snow on an uphill while towing my son. I can live with that.

1 Like

How do you feel about the 9s now?

1 Like

I like them dude.
The primary function of that board these days is to tow the kids on our family rides.

So I don’t go out in the woods a whole bunch.

The few times I did I certainly felt like I had way better traction.

And riding on grass feels less bumpy.

So. I’m sticking with them.

This board is giant heavy monster now and I kind of ponder making another Emtb. Or converting my Haero.

And in that dream I will be using 9 inch mudplyggers.

Apparently they are a bit wider patch than the. Mbs and slightly less diameter.

20210413_174716_1_2

6 Likes

You’re making me want to try 9”! At least with the kids trailer in the back. Hoping to attach that to the board tomorrow for the first time by the way!

2 Likes

I’m thinking about ordering 9inch trampa mudpluggers. Do you think they will fit on mbs fiverstar hubs and mbs matrix ii truck? I am worried maybe it doesn’t fit the hub but also maybe the mudpluggers are too wide so there’s not enough room on the axle?

1 Like

Yeah. They work fine on Fivestar and matrix.
I have not tried it myself but a buddy has.
He is my inspiration to go mud pluggers.
He liked them way better than the mbs 9s.

This is his board with that set up.

3 Likes

I just saw this on Facebook :joy: Mike is awesome and needs to be on this forum.

2 Likes