4WD x Landwheel x Bustin Cigar x 8s6p

Super quick update, my first major test ride had some issues, but simple ones. One of the bullet connectors on a rear esc came undone twice, so I ended up bending it a bit and taping it to hopefully avoid that issue.

After fixing that I was able to ride for a bit and then after fully charging the board (of course) I set it down and a motor wasn’t working. I was like, really? I opened it back up again and when I was poking around, I heard sparking noises, and so I looked closely, and one of the connections on one of the TB Vescs was coming loose. The power cable that goes into the capacitor board on the positive side had come off its solder pad a bit. I did my best to fix it by re-melting the solder and adding a bit more, but we shall see how it holds up with time.

Here’s a dusty picture of it, I will take some better pictures soon. Happy that this is basically done now!

Sidenote, I switched out some of the bushings on it, and it still kind of turns like garbage. I am going to have to get the right bushings in this thing before I actually consider it awesome. The pivot cups are absolutely terrible and one of them actually broke in half, so that explains the lack of agility.

I would say that this probably attributes to bad turning performance. The back isn’t quite as bad, but it’s not great either.

3 Likes

Awesome dood!
Nice thread and a pretty cool result.
I am curious what you think about riding 4wd hubs after replacing the bushings of course :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thanks! It took way more time than I even know haha.

The power of 4wd hubs is pretty crazy, even on the crappy bushings. I still haven’t even maxed out the throttle yet, and this is just 8s. They’re pretty torquey.

If I’m not moving forward then I have to push to start, they can’t do it otherwise. I might try out HFI if I get around to it.

The reality is that they are still hubs and that I still feel bumps pretty hard, the deck flexes nicely though so that helps with constant vibrations, but shock loads kinda hurt sometimes. They can’t compare to the TB110’s lol even though the hubs are 92mm. The urethane on them isn’t that incredible either although it is thicker than some other hubs.

I’m happy with the result, just need bushings to make it actually fun to ride.

2 Likes

hahaha whom you gonna tell this hahahaha
…I started esk8ing on hubs and for me it feels natural by now even it is NOT hehehehe…but it can be very tricky at speeds with bumbs and cracks. Just kicks away your board from under your feet.

second that. In 4wd configuration them “cheap” hubs are more than enough power and up to 30-35amps still pretty reliable from what i can speak. Its always just heat to keep in mind and check by hand from time to time, but you know about that, i am sure.

Yeah especially sidewalk cracks lmao they’re the worst. We have some huge ones around here too. I don’t think I’ve gone much over like 22 on this board quite yet because I don’t trust the bushings / pivot cups

This is about what Vesc Tool allocated to mine and they’ve been fine at that.

1 Like

sorry, but I havnt read the whole thread yet ( im not sure how im gonna missed that) and i have a question: You use dual makerx esc two times,one for the front and one for the rear. So, did you use 2 receivers as well?

Nah I have a makerx dual in the front because it’s so nice and small, and then the back has two TB 4.12’s that I’ve had for a long time in it. This was a 2wd before I converted it this year.

I run double split ppm, so split at the back, and then a pwm cable up to the front, into the UART port on the makerx. The makerx is running on CAN because it was super easy to just do that. (internal wiring)

1 Like

Ahh, yeah i got it. The Frankenwheel update :grinning:
Would it be possible to run a 4wd with 2 receivers without any hook up connection of lets say two dual esc? Must be, or am i wrong?

1 Like

Yeah you could, I’m using the GT2B and I’m pretty sure @b264 has done this before. But alas, I do not have two so, here we are lmao

1 Like

hahahaha, no you dont, but maybe some update ideas for the 2021 :grinning:
…yeah, i know about Brians dual receiver fetish and i would second that.
I ride two receivers as well :upside_down_face: but on a brands board and not on a diy.
Interesting is that you can mix up them esc like you want to.
Never heard about that before.

1 Like

Yes, definitely

3 Likes

@b264 this was just a rethorical question to bind you in somehow :slightly_smiling_face:
I know it must work bc my 4wd boards have two receivers.
Im just curios how to bind two receivers with one remote.
Does it work with any remote out there or just with the mini or the gtb2 ?

1 Like

Just those two to my knowledge and maybe the OSRR if they’ve gotten that far

4 Likes

ah haha thank you, Brian.

3 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

Lol you checking in? If anyone is wondering, the build is still running exaclty the same, which is great.

I still haven’t gotten new pivot cups for it, and the bushings are a little janky.

In other news, it rides great, the deck with this enclosure design is super flexible and the enclosure isn’t showing any signs of wear. The power of the build really is quite strong, the only thing that keeps me from sending it all the time is the fact that it’s hubs and that I haven’t gotten good bushings / pivot cups in it

3 Likes

Yeah, hahahaha, was a bit curious about how you think about 4wd heheehhe
very powerful :laughing:

2 Likes

It’s definitely surprising how much power there is. It’s definitely not nearly as strong as 4x 6355 belt drives or equivalent would be though

2 Likes

hahaha, no but more than enough torque and power imo.
Not for racers bc of top speed, but brutal acceleration and them hubs dont get so hot that fast :wink:

2 Likes

Haha yeah it does spread the load out and conquer every hill

3 Likes