4WD VS 2WD question..

Just to convince you a little bit more that a diy 2WD is great. Production boards have a motor current of ~15-30A per motor. With a vesc 6 you can push 100A motor current for accelerations. One of your motors basically has the power of 3-6 production Board motors. And now you have 2 of them. That’s already sooo much better than everything you can buy. And a lot of people are happy with the production boards.

8 Likes

Thanks, I apreaciate the insight for sure.

It seems to be a general concensus that 2wd would be enough based on what I’ve read and ya’lls responses. So that’s a good point you bring, I could just upgrade to 4wd in a year. I had that thought, but forgot to mention it as well. I guess I was just thinking maybe somebody would sway me into 4wd, but seems like 2wd is the way…

I’ve read some threads of how fun 4wd is with the traction. So it’s attractive

I live in San Diego, so my options are road/mountain trails/grass. Basically, not many hills on roads probably 20% at most. Grass and mountain trails on the other hand can get quite steep like 30% or more. Hence, the need for torque

2 Likes

yeah, I don’t want to die either, that’s why I wanted more torque and limit speed at 25mph, that way I can protect myself from myself essentially

The thing is most boards are geared for a higher speeds so you get even better torque than most people praising there 2wd. But to be honest after the first weeks of riding 25mph will be very comfortable and you want more. So best go with a belt drive so you can adjust the gearing later.

2 Likes

For sure, I’d love to test 4wd vs. 2wd to see how traction feels differently, I bet it would help make up my mind

I love my 4x4. The stop and go are amazing. It’s geared for close to 40mph but the off-road grunt is fantastic still. If it was geared for 25mph it would be hilarious I’m sure.
Downsides of 4x4 is the weight and cost of extra drivetrains motors and escs.

8 Likes

Lmao what do you mean? Must be in a flat area, most of my rides are only hills here in Carmel Mountain

LoL yeah, so you don’t forget to account for it in the budget, and so you’re guaranteed to have it on the very first test ride.

It’s real easy to get wrapped up in building and put that off, and then need to ride…

5 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party, but as others said, this is a lot. The only real situation where you can have a lot of torque is on a MTB with bindings. Without bindings, having that much torque on a standard skate deck won’t work. You’d be surprised how much torque an esk8 with a top speed of 65km/h can do.

I also wouldn’t recommend any build with less than 50-55km/h even if you never go that fast, reason being, this is a really nice sweet spot for torque and speed on 2wd.

My top speed is 25mph/40kmh, torque is crazy insane! But I’m really disappointed with my top speed, I can cruise at 40km/h with my eyes closed, it’s just so stable when you have the right truck/bushing setup

If you want everything, sure, 4wd is better in everyway except weight.
But like @glyphiks you’ll want a 2500-3500 budget easy-peasy. DIY is a lot cheaper than if you try and buy a prebuilt with this setup too. Look at Kaly or Lacroix; amazing boards but you are paying 5k-6k for the best.

Unless you have 10k to start of this hobby, every build is a compromise lol

4 Likes

Last time, I pushed my throttle to 80% from standstill ~140 motor amps. (8inch is uncontrollable on a even surface. 9" is in the sweetspot)

2 Likes

Maybe for your first ride. Maybe not even that long.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t suggest going more than 20 on the first ride. Too many things can happen and you just aren’t familiar enough with the board yet.

Especially if your bushings aren’t dialed in yet. This is how I crashed at 28mph on my first ride on my latest board. Thought I would be fine but got speed wobbles on the default bushings. I should have known better, but since FOC was so quiet, I thought I was going slower.

3 Likes

what drive ratio do you use and what KV?

Can you go up 30% dirt hills though or the traction is not there?

That would be a point towards 4wd in that case. Or getting studdier tires

what KV are you using?

I guess traction is what I’ve been referring to maybe. As I wish to be able to climb a mountain of grass 30%. The torque may be enough, but the traction may not be. So 4wd would be the way right?

As long as your wires from the battery to the ESC aren’t super long you shouldn’t worry about that stuff.

Is that because of the current stored in the length of the cable? What is the longest one can safely go?

190kv iirc

I get what you are trying to say. I still have this gut feeling I may regret going 2wd forsaking traction. Do you have a 4wd and a 2wd and which do you prefer if so?

1 Like

You’ll be more than good with a 2wd to go up 30 degree grass hills… so many people have said this already, listen to them!

3 Likes

another reason I limit at 25mph is because I don’t want to amass medical bills, so just keep it safe. Even if I feel like I could go more than 25, I don’t want to have that option at my disposal, because I don’t want to break something if I fall

But the gearing is spot on. I think 140kv are such a sweet spot. With different gears you can pretty much increase your speed by 10-20mph, from 25mph, which makes me wonder why people choose 190kv, unless they just want something fixed