4WD VS 2WD question..

Mine?

You spend 3k on 2wd didn’t you

1 Like

Upgrade to 4wd no problem :laughing:

1 Like

1.5k more?
That in total will be almost a 1 year insurance in the uk for a £350 corsa lol

this thread reminds me of the other guy where everyone gets to vote if he’d be able to finish in ‘2 days’ or 20+ days.

Wheres that thread again? XD

1 Like

That one was fun

5 Likes

Well… here’s my build, so far, took way longer to make than I anticipated, but it was a lot of fun:

The turn radius on this thing is hideous. I need a new deck as some had mentioned. What are some good options?

I am thinking either:

Trampa carver (holypro?) 150-175 quid
Trampa holypro 4wd 250 quid (out of stock)
Trampa HS11 165 quid
Haero Bro 300 quid? website not loading
MBS DWII 199 usd

This thread they favor the Prototipo but I can’t find it: Favorite Carver Deck (whose your favorite new kid, call me donnie)

And most people seem to like the Bro in general. I personally am attracted to the concave of the Trampas. But I don’t know what’s best.

And for Trampas would one choose the “stiffest” option as people say they are like a trampoline, bouncy bouncy, even the “stiff” ones.

This video the holy pro turn radius is better in general it seems, less width?

But the Bro is better for jumps, which I may or may not get into. I care more about turn radius.

Both decks look amazing though. Don’t really like the look of the MBS DW11 and the tips concern me.

The springs on my trucks are the stiffer version of the cheap aliexpress L Faster trucks, so I think changing those, if possible, for something like Elastomere dampers or barrels as he mentions could be good, or even the “less stiff” springs.

I also need a non-trashy looking enclosure. I picked out this one to see if it would work https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Z73SYE

It’ll arrive tomorrow. But it seems kind of bulky. These are the inner dimensions I actually need:

The camera case is a bit expensive $64 but it fits the bill except for length is more than I need.

Anyway, I am glad I went 4WD even though I’ve only ridden a few times and have no point of reference. I went up some steep rocky hills so far. Did the job remarkably well. Been riding on Low and sometimes medium. A very slow crawl up this hill required the High setting, but it managed. Can’t stand still without bindings, so I might get some at some point. I’ll update more as I ride it and get to go on some trails whence I can actually turn well lol

Oh yeah and I ran over a rattle snake yesterday, it was scary/fun/sad and shocking all at the same time, sigh… he was ok as when I came back he wasn’t there anymore, hopefully he just went home… It was a precarious situation because I was going too fast to notice it in time, to the point were had I slowed down or stopped I would have not ran it over but been so close it could have stricken me, so it was a last second reflex/defense to just go over it… and when I looked back and stopped it seemed like it was doing alright. It’s funny cause I had been thinking that might happen at some point here in San Diego, but I didn’t think it would be literally on my 2nd ride…

1 Like

took me 20 days

yeah they are doing fine so far

I have my limits man

Idk I couldn’t find anything cheaper than full drivetrain set up for $270 new from aliexpress, but maybe if you look and wait for months you can do it with used nice parts, but who has the time for that… ill save more money going to work to buy them new lol

1 Like

Happy to hear that it workes so far. Yes you really need a better deck for off-road. Those trucks need at least 20 degree angle to work. 30-35 is better. I like my flexy trampalins, they help you jump because you can compress them like a spring to increase the jump height. But stiffer decks are fine to. It’s mostly personal preference.

Bindings really help a lot. Especially if you want to ride mountainbike tracks in the forest. I would even say it’s impossible without them. Get the MBS bindings they are more comfortable than the trampa ones.

The first rides where you take it easy will be fine but I’m very curious if the trucks and drive will survive serious off-road riding.

3 Likes

Now that the weather is nice again I did many tests with my 2wd trampa. I learned to ride in both directions so I can do 180 jumps and I noticed front wheel drive is completely useless.
When climbing hills you have like 80% or your weight over the rear wheels and the front wheels have pretty much no traction anyway. So you may actually loose hill climb ability because if you divert the power from where you mostly need it to where it doesn’t really do much. 75% back 25% front power would be ideal I guess.

The great advantage of your 4wd will be breaking. On steep decents Im pretty much dragging my rear wheels and still continue moving because the whole situation is reversed.

1 Like

Maybe if I do jumps they could bend. By the time I can do that I might just get 2nd hand ones with time

Ill check the mbs ones out. Thanks for the tip!

What stiffness do you usually do for the Tramps? I read they could be too stiff and then it wont flatten. So its kind of hard to pick

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Bro but still not sure I want to spend that much. The trampa carver is $150 but its set up for mini springs. That could work but I’m afraid to mees the holes for the ATB springs. I would rather get the wholes precision drilled. Trampa gets back to me trying to get me to buy the Wing deck but it looks so bulky

Unless one learns to balance their weight 50/50 front and rear then perhaps there would be some advantage there.

But yeah I dont even know. I had trouble getting over this rock the other day. Like from a standstill and a rock right next to the wheel. Maybe it was too unrealistic to think it could work easily. Had to switch it to high and went through. I guess I got the expectation from people say it would climb trees lol I was wondering if the motors weren’t big enough. But someone said maybe it was you that motor size doesnt matter if the current driven through it is the same. So if I up the current which I currently have set to 45 then maybe. But the 4.2 only handle 50 so ive only got 5a to play with.

My main limitation right now is bindings, turnability, and the wheels seem a bit small. 8" seemed overboard, whodathought

The braking is really good. Not sure what braking is like on 2wd but I can stop on any hill so far. Atleast I got that out of it if 4wd is pointless on other fronts

And the range is inexhaustible at 6p I think the added belt drag is a non issue. Some people were saying it would decrease range. But it wont matter if you have more than you need

My 8a charger charges faster than I need it too as well. I float my battery at 4v to keep it healthy. I have to do it manually. If someone knows the setting for this on the bluetooth BMS xiaoxiang do let me know Ive looked everywhere online theres no documentation

I have most of those decks so here my opinion.

Carver:
absolutely not for off-road.
My commuter is a 14ply carver and it has more flex than you can ever imagine. I still like it in the city at slow to medium speed.

HolyPro:
I have the old style 16ply deck. It is my favourite deck, very comfortable to ride and to ollie BUT it’s useless :joy:. I was riding the deck for 2 years until I recognized the limits of the deck. The problem is the hardcore flex, the deck bends and twists so there is a point where it gets very unpredictable and is very hard to control. This is not noticeable at slow to medium speed on normal terrain but normal off-road at higher speed or hardcore off-road even at slower speed is difficult with this deck.

Even the stiffest Trampa deck is flexy. The deck should be (almost) flat with your body weight otherwise the stance is crooked. So if Trampa then choose the ply according to your body weight. The deck is fine just not for me anymore. I really miss the flex.jumping up curbs was super easy. Now everytime I have to pray if I make it.

Haero Bro:
Yo that’s my video you posted about the comparison :laughing:
True I can’t steer like I want but meanwhile I learned how to steer with the Bro. You have to bend you knees quite a lot and shift your body in a weird way, hard to describe. I use the Bro for jumping and really love it but I don’t ride with this board, it is too wide for my taste. I need a more narrow deck so I can transfer the power to the edges with the heels or grab it with the toes. I’m talking about steering with lean which I love. I can’t do that with the Bro so therefore no tight turns possible for me.

MBS DWII
That’s the stiffest deck ever. I don’t like stiff decks but was very surprised how good and precise the control is. On my first ride I couldn’t ride because it was like balancing on a rope, so weird. After some days it was getting better. On a Trampa you can dance or move your body at high speed without consequences. On a DWII you sneeze at slow speed and instantly make a turn. It is very sensitive and direct to control. But exactly this is why I actually use it for riding. It makes the difference whether you make the curve or end up in a tree. I’m not a big fan of the deck but it works best for me.

It didn’t work so well with Trampa trucks, but with Matrix II it did. With your trucks I can’t recommend this deck.

There are also cheaper MTB decks available if you like to save money. If you like this type of board you can save money for a update or new build later. I’m not sure about the trucks and motor mounts. Do you have belt skipping?

Sorry I have to say your battery looks dangerous. No offence it looks better than my first battery but still. What type of wire is this? It looks like for loudspeakers which wouldn’t be good. Nice with the cell level fusing!. Personally I didn’t do that because I was afraid of all the vibrations. I would add cushioning from all sides. It looks llike there is no insulation (like fishpaper) below the wires.

3 Likes

For tight turning, grab the edge with you fingers :wink:

1 Like

That’s old school :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But best method, I reckon.

1 Like

Wow I didn’t expect to get an answer from you yet such a thorough overview and exactly what I was needing to know, holy cow does that ever happen in life if ever lol

No belt skipping except for one time I try to break too hard and it skipped. The belt is on the lowest tightness as well, it’s not snug snug to lower the drag. I’d think with 4 motors the load is distributed on 4 wheels so less skipping in general?

Don’t really care about money at this point. I can spend $300 or $200 it doesn’t matter much. I just want the carvy feel I had on double king pin trucks with thane wheels. I was hoping to get that back. If I can turn as much as you can turn on that video with the trampas I would be perfectly happy.

I was afraid the Bro would be too wide cause I also like steering with lean, so glad you mentioned that. I was about to buy it because it looked so pretty! I suppose one could grind away the width though? But I don’t think I’d be up for that.

The Trampa seems really nice the way you describe albeit the limitations. I am concerned I’d get the wrong stiffness. I am 78kg in general. Not sure I’d be doing jumps but jumping up sidewalks sounds necessary now that you mentioned it lol I was looking at the HS11. Would that be a good choice or would you choose another? Trampa said all their boards are pretty much the same. I was eyeing that carver but not sure I want to get it after what you wrote on it. But it’s the cheapest…

The MBS DWII seems better than I thought. I really want to turn mostly. I can totally relate to avoiding the tree as that’s exactly what I am not doing. Not crazy about speed. Stiffness doesn’t bother me as my current deck is super stiff and don’t know any better. But I would like to know what flex is all about.

My trucks have these very stiff springs. I took the bolt off that holds the trucks together and it was super tough to put it back together. It just sprung up like a bat out of hell. I had to put it back with two wood clamps that can handle 300lbs each… and even then it was hell. I could change them up for something else like the elastomere dampers you mentioned. I am hoping that they would be compatible with this truck if anyone knows.

For the battery I put three layers of bubble wrap under it to protect the bottom connections. The fused cells are on top. I forgot to sand down the spiky welds but have put fish paper on the ones that did. They are not that spiky either. I shrink-wrapped once and shrink wrapped again. There’s fish paper on all cables crossing over, the BMS cables in particular. The sides seem at low risk of damage as they are far from the outer case, so I just left it alone, but there’s still a lot of shrink wrap to protect it. The battery is very solid, held in place by the 4 straps going across it and there’s Velcro holding it as well on the bottom. The leads and bus bars are 6awg. The serial connections are 10awg. The nickel is 8x0.15mm. The fuses are 16 or 18awg I forgot but are rated for 45amp continuous and 110amp fusing current, iirc. I tested them using a 12v car battery and they fuse in less than 5 seconds without leaving much residue. They are tinned copper to reduce resistance as well. They are pretty solid and not really going anywhere unless the battery falls on its head without protection from any case, but that will never happen unless it’s mishandled. But that goes for any battery. The voltage drop is about 0.5v on almost full throttle, which is around 80amps or so. Not sure how that good is compared to other batteries? But the battery stays really cool. I got 3 temp sensors. Never goes above 30 degrees except once, which was the first time I charged it from storage charge.

I suppose I can fish paper the battery but I like the clear look of it and seeing the insides is nice

1 Like