4wd vs 2wd mountainboard

I often wondered if you could put small motors on the front, say 6355’s (or maybe even smaller) and bigger motors on the back.

I’d be concerned about weight on a 16S with 4 giant motors.

I was in the 2WD camp (my board is 2@6374’s but geared for tree climbing) up until I started reading this thread and the issue was braking on steep descents. I could see how having some front wheel braking would be helpful.

1 Like

Toss a mechanical brake on the front to save weight and your ass on steep declines🤓

4 Likes

I’d personally recommend 2wd with the possibility of adding mechanical brakes on the front axle. Most of the time, when riding offroad unweighting the front wheels is really important. The lighter front end really helps with that and also reduces the chance of damaging drives from throttling with the front wheels off the ground. As for hill climbing 2wd are 4wd are closer than you think offroad, with proper weight distribution you can climb up more than you think with 2wd.

4 Likes

6355 front and 6385 rear is my vote. Along with 12s 205kv.

1 Like

Bingo. I’m lifting my front end around the tight turns, over roots and big rocks while riding. My front leg and abs are sore just thinking about having to lift 2 more motors and drives :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @Skyart for the tag.

I have been riding my 4wd mtb offroad a lot in the eastern sierras (bishop area) for the last 6 months and I can offer some advice.

It’s sounds like you mostly want to ride offroad on dirt trails and dirt roads, and you want to have the best hill climbing ability. It also sounds like you don’t have plans to take this off dirt jumps.

If that is right, you should 100% do basically the same build as me, which is 4wd with 6355 motors. 4wd gives you a ridiculous advantage for hill climbing compared to 2wd, but the thing that people really don’t understand is how much control it gives you going downhill. Having front brakes on your emtb allows you to go down much steeper terrain with full control, where 2wd would just lock your back tires and you would go skidding with no control.

Why 6355? well you’re riding on dirt and you don’t really need as much power riding on dirt because as soon as you push a ton of amps, you just start spinning out the tires. On my 20s build I have rarely pushed over 40a to the motors. Also, you are doubling the power of your board by adding two motors. 4wd is wildly powerful, so you can get by with smaller motors just fine.

Weight? people complain about weight with 4wd, but in reality it only adds 6lbs to your entire board to add two motors, gear drives, and another speed controller. It’s not much. If this is a dirt jumping board, yeah you will feel that, but for offroad hill climbing and dirt roads you aren’t even going to notice the weight. The weight penalty will be even lower if you are planning to use belt drives.

In short, 4wd kicks fucking ass for offroad riding. 4wd will laugh at hills that you wouldn’t have a chance at with 2wd.

5 Likes

Hey thanks for the response. After all these replies I will be going 4wd. Just seems like the smarter option with the better braking and more traction. Would you say your 6355’s have enough power to slap on Street tires and do 45 on the streets? If so than that’s great if not then I will probably go with the 6465’s 205 kv that skyart recommended

And your right I don’t plan on doing much jumping so weight isn’t as much of a concern

1 Like

I definitely don’t want a mechanical brake that’s one more thing to hold in my hands :rofl:

1 Like

Also with your skp motors being vented Is that going to cause any issues with the motors getting filled with crud?

This is actually a good thing.

None venting motors simply build up the crud at the bottom of the can, out motors have a way of venting it out.

1 Like

Yeah 6355 will have no problem hitting 45mph with 4wd. The 6465’s are also a great choice. I wouldn’t dissuade you from using the 6465 at all. It’s a pretty minor weight penalty for an increase in power.

Like @Skyart said, venting is better. I have sealed maytech cans, and after a few hundred miles offroad, it’s astonishing how much crap has gotten totally trapped inside of the motor cans. It is so bad that I’m worried about damaging the magnets. I’ll probably eventually replace these motors with vented ones.

2 Likes

You and skyart make my wallet hurt :rofl: a small part of me was hoping you’d say sealed was worse so I could save a few hundred getting the maytech motors. But sound like vented is better and everyone seems to love there skp motors. So 4 skp 6465 205kv it is.

5 Likes

Use discount code Spring!! 11% off modors

4 Likes

Awesome thanks! That will definitely help. How long is that code good for? I was planning on ordering in 1.5 weeks unless the code will be gone by then.

1 Like

You are good! If its gone DM me

3 Likes