$40 Home depot custom enclosure

Yeah I watched and geeked out on the whitepony stiff from the old forum and got inspired.

1 Like

Bruhhh, link?? I love geeking

1 Like

Bro. Read up. Be inspired.

Also:

3 Likes

lovelyloveltlovely :pray:

2 Likes

Rough shapes ok

Will have to patch this guy up

@iamasalmon how would you go about patching up just one little spot without using my last bit of resin for final coat? Just mix like a teeny tiny bit up for just this one spot, patch it up, let it dry, and then do the sanding?

4 Likes

Hey man, this looks great!
I would do a little sanding before, right where the patch is going. Sanding will help smooth things out and ensure proper adhesion. use a little cloth so bridge the gap.
consider laying a whole strip for the edge and strengthening the whole edge.

Thanks dude! It’s a bit better than my first enclosure :rofl: :rofl:

lengthening it which way? Wider? It’s already going along the edge of the board =/ I have just a tiny bit of mat left, will it work to just lay a little patch for that spot (don’t wanna go and buy a whole pack of ciberglass mat again lol)? Also, when patching this, I should do that as a whole separate process from puttin on the final coat, right? Or should I lay it in with the final coat? It won’t blend in witht eh rest of the enclosure if I don’t sand it down afterward with everything else–I guess I’m wondering if you sand after the final coat too? Or won’t that mess up the nice, glossy finish, which is the whole point of a final coat anyway right?

there is lots of sanding in your future.
I would knock down the high spots and make it smooth before the first gloss coat. Then sand and do another gloss coat. But if you’re almost out, one gloss coat is enough. I don’t sand the finish on my final coat, just the drips on the underside. If you do the gloss coat right, it comes out smooth and glossy, no sanding needed. Like how a still pool of water doesn’t need to be sanded :heart_eyes:

1 Like

just spent like 5 min looking for the fortune ball emoji. Must be limited to @systembot :rofl: :rofl:

What did you mean by “lengthening the whole edge?”

1 Like

I mean I would lay more mat down just on the outside edges that are going to get screwd (like where the patch is going to go, but all along that whole edge).
Lap it up the wall of the enclosure just a bit, maybe. Depends if the guts are going to be attached to the deck or the enclosure…

2 Likes

ahh you mean so it kind of curls around the edge of the board?

No lay it flat on the edge and curl it up the side of the enclosure. Just make the whole edge thicker. That edge where the screws go needs to be thick, it takes all the load.

1 Like

Like this?

I’m sorry I’m terrible at understanding simple instructions :laughing:

1 Like

yeah, If you can. it might be fine the way it is, it’s a judgement call

1 Like

Sorry about reviving a thread, but when securing your Enclosure to the deck, did you lay wax paper, then your Enclosure and taped the Enclosure on top of the wax paper? Then do the glass layup on top of the wax paste that you applied onto the tape covering the foam?

pretty much this.

I think the moral of the story is that you can take a fiberglass mold over anything, if you have enough mold release (wax). Foam is cheap, easy to shape and readily available, but raw resin attacks it, so a physical barrier (tape) is required.

2 Likes

Hot damn…that’s nice. When I grow up I hope I can do something like that too.

5 Likes

haha get outta town :joy:

In principle, its easy. like paper mache.
but the reality it take a lot of hard work and itchy sanding. Definitely a labor of love

Check out @glyphiks enclosure, he made some pretty baddass top mounts

2 Likes

Cool, thanks! I was following your work and then started wondering what I should layer on what when actually putting the resin and glass on.

I think the hardest part was shaping and cutting the foam all by hand :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve got a thread that covers this fairly well. Anytime you are using polyester resin and foam you want a barrier…

4 Likes