3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

I expect you will love it. I got mine recently and it’s been solid so far and the Discord community seems very good too.

2 Likes

Yeah it is quite slippery! Would make for a fun parking lot challenge wheel, like sticking plastic fast food trays under your back wheels and locking the emergency brake so you can slip the ass end around everywhere. Allegedly.

2 Likes

Nice, I’ll have to find the discord community. Looking forward to it

This X1C is pretty wild. Setup was quick. Printed the 15 minute benchy on file which was pretty crazy to see. Acceleration is nuts. I have my printer on a storage shelf but I’m going to have to try and figure out a better solution because it vibrates/shakes quite a bit because of the extreme speeds. I know it compensates for it but I’d still like to minimize that if possible

3 Likes

Get a thick granite offcut, looks awesome and works really well. Also isn’t very expensive, if you ask at a local mason. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good idea. I’ve read others buying a big heavy landscape paver slab to put under it as well

3 Likes

Yeah that’s the slightly more ugly version.

1 Like

We use inspection surface plates at work. Basically a fat slab of ultra flat stone. Unfortunately they’re like $400 a piece so definitely go the local off cut route and get a sheet of antislip material.

1 Like

1 Like

Lol that made me chuckle. I just meant for ultra flat surfaces, not 3d printers specifically.

1 Like

I just finished printing my first “real” print on the X1C. I designed a simple plate to replace the bottom plate of a shitty fan we have that would allow me to sit it on top of a PA speaker stand I had, so it would be at face/head level when using our exercise bike. Weird solutions for weird problems while trying to stay on the cheap. The X1C knocked it out in 2 hours, when Cura said it would be close to 7-8 hours on my Ender. Works great too.

7 Likes

Started messing around with OnShape recently and I’m really liking it. Sort of lands between Tinkercad and Fusion360. Also nice that it’s browser-based so I can work on projects on my lunch break at work where I can’t install any programs on my desktop. As painful as it can be sometimes, I kind of enjoy the sometimes backwards-thinking you have to do in order to create certain shapes, like this wrench holder I’m printing for my toolbox currently.

So far my X1C has printed PETG wonderfully on the engineering plate. First layer at 30mm/s and then let it speed up to normal printing speed for the rest. Printed a couple special ladder hooks for work on the X1C - on my Ender 3 they took about 11.5 hours each, on the X1C only about 2.5 hours each. Pretty awesome.

3 Likes

What are you liking about it over Fusion 360? I just checked the pricing and it’s steep for me. With Fusion 360, even without the startup license, I’d happily pay the commercial license price, but OnShape is 3 times the price.

Is anyone else using a Space Mouse with their CAD software? I got one recently and have found it to be a total game changer and productivity boost for 3D modeling. Enough also that I went to use Fusion today on another computer and didn’t have the Space Mouse on there and it felt so awkward.

2 Likes

I’m afraid to customize any keyboards or mouses because I’ll turn pants on head level stupid using anything other than that going forward.

Living vicariously through you, which one you rocking?

I splurged and went for the Enterprise one but all the reviews I’ve seen say (and I would agree) that that even getting one of the basic Space Mouse models without any buttons is a huge step up. The benefit of any of the models with the buttons is that you can do things like use the 6-way control to manipulate the model at the same time as holding down a modifier on the panel (like Shift/Ctrl/Alt). In addition you have all these buttons to quickly switch between views or to quickly execute common commands (or whatever you program them to be) and those are all context sensitive too so if you’re in say Surface vs Solid, or in Fusion vs another app, the buttons can be different things.

The main thing is not only can you manipulate the model so much faster and more accurately, but you can do that (e.g. with your left hand) while at the same time making changes to the model with your other hand on the mouse (or trackpad). If you also have a Space Mouse model with the buttons on it, you rarely have to reach for the keyboard. It’s a next-level experience IMO.

2 Likes

I am a CAD noob, self taught pretty much exclusively through youtube videos and such, so I am trying anything I can get my hands on that’s free. Tinkercad (MS Paint of CAD), free Fusion360 and free/public version of OnShape. I couldn’t justify paying for anything of them just yet due to my noobness and since I am only doing this for fun/hobby. If I got to the point of designing and selling things, I would consider paying for a license for one of them.

Fusion360 has everything I would ever need, but the learning curve is fairly steep without any formal training (to me at least). OnShape is definitely more advanced than Tinkercad, but still has a lot of the functionality of Fusion360, but for someone pretty new to it all they lay out the program and functions in a way that was easier to grasp. With more time behind the wheel, I’m sure I will be able to do the same kind of thing in F360 but I’m not there yet with it

1 Like

I have CAD experience but was new to F360. One thing I can recommend is the Product Design Online YT channel. The guy who runs that has a whole “Learn Fusion in 30 Days” course entirely for free. He’s only updated the first 10 or so modules for the latest UI but the other modules are all still doable. I just did all 30 videos in about a week and it was well worth the time investment and also introduced me to a few things like the sculpting capabilities that I didn’t even know Fusion had.

1 Like

Nice, I will check those out. I feel like I have come across them, but I will definitely binge watch them and try and soak it all in.

My design experience has been 2D thus far - I work in the “visual arts” world aka I design/make signs so I’ve lived in programs like Adobe Illustrator my whole life. Getting to dive into 3D has been a lot of fun and I am kicking myself for not getting into it sooner.

1 Like

The good thing is they are all practical exercises so you follow along and do all the stuff. I found it a lot easier to watch the videos on a second device like a tablet so you can easily pause the video with separate controls and of course have Fusion full-screen.

2 Likes