3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

I saw one on sale for $120 the other day :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Ohh man. I would have preferred to buy that… BTW, I cancelled the $168 one. Just too many projects at hand currently, both work and personal ones…

2 Likes

The new cr10 v3 comes with a Titan e3d direct drive extruded
But also not great reviews

Sidewinder seems to be good and my new cr10 pro v2 is flawless
Setup in an hour and printing perfectly no issues

2 Likes

Bowden only has issues when printing with oozy materials, like nylon, TPU etc. Also the print speed of the direct drive is much higher than Bowden.

2 Likes

Not the expert guess you know

Depressing moment when 3 hours into a print a single piece comes off… and an hour before that I spent 5 minutes struggling to get the pieces fo without breaking them
The bed is weird good and attracting big objects

1 Like

I would have jumped right on this in July. I was burning through 50-80 kg per week. :joy:

1 Like

yep all coming today

The parts should release automatically by the time the bed cools down due to thermal contraction. If not, you can also throw it in the freezer for a few minutes, and then it should come off easily.

1 Like

thanks tried and found cooling then reheating works well

received this today

gotta build an enclosure now

5 Likes

Had my first issue with bl touch today where it decided the top of the z axis was 0
Issue was the piece at the end being a bit bent so fixed now
Is there any recommendations to replace or change this as I have seen quite a few people saying it’s not great

Also my extruded is making a small squeaking sound when retracting
Should I tighten it or is it normal

Thanks everyone

compared to something like Taulman 910, how do the specs of this resin compare? (and would it be suitable for our needs?) - i dont have the kno-how to read the specs…

Alloy 910 is much more flexible and impact-resistant. The resin has a higher ultimate tensile strength, but is more likely to snap rather than bending or deforming.

1 Like

Heads up for anyone in USA…MakeShaper’s Black Friday 40% off code is running today because they screwed up their social media posts last week. It it supposed to end tonight, so probably 12am EST. :frowning:

Code: BLACKFRIDAY40

I saved a screenshot from IG earlier this week and finally remembered that I need to order filament! :yum:

2 Likes

Sounds like it could be used for berg hubs, for example. People use PETG for hubs with sucess - how does that compare to this resin? Is PETG less//more impact-resistant than the stuff I linked? I guess someone needs to do a real world test

Honestly I think that would be a poor idea, simply due to the price. Over $200/kg is exorbitantly expensive for a bulk material unless you have a really really specific need for it, like the ultrafine details you can achieve with a resin printer.

You don’t need ultrafine detail on your skateboard wheels, therefore it’s a giant waste of money.
Considering you can get PETG for 1/10 the price, and nylon for less than 1/3, it’s laughably overpriced for what you need it for.

Plus, I suspect that it will be less impact resistant than even PETG, which is itself far less impact resistant than 910.

I’d suggest investing in a high-end FDM filament like PolyMaker’s PolyMide CoPA, rather than resin wankery. It’s just better for the given application. Even that, which is pretty expensive at $80/kilo, is still less than half the cost of that resin, and I can guarantee you it will work.

1 Like

Ive got an FDM printer, but am considering picking up a resin printer for some art-related projects where it’s use case is not considered “wankery”…if I do I’ll certainly be experimenting. But I get your point, FDM better for mechanical parts…or at least more cost efficient since no one here has tried it yet

IMO, FDM printers are great for big parts, and resin is great for small detailed parts.

Resin is just a lot more expensive, so it makes sense to use it only where you really need that extra detail and resolution.

4 Likes

You beautiful man you…

Never seen 2.5 kg rolls before. That’s an insane price. I’m about to go hard.

FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK it ended 🤬
1 Like

I need to build holders for those spools! Damn…their 20% sale is still going though.

1 Like

Is it? I only see it saying it ended Dec 1st.