3D Printing Discussions, Questions and Debugging

The stock printer will be fine given correct assembly. I’ve literally changed nothing hardware wise on my used Ender 3 since I got it over a year ago, and it still makes nice strong prints. No nozzle changes, no capricorn tubing, no nothing. It holds its level on the stock springs for months at a time, and the only thing I need to do to prep the bed is to wipe it with isopropyl. The only thing I did was flash Marlin on it for the thermal runaway protection since it was an older version of the Ender, which had no effect on prints.

I wouldn’t bother with upgrades unless you’re having issues with the part itself (most of the time it’s just poor assembly, not the part that’s broken), or the current printer lacks capabilities you need (direct drive for TPU or flexy filaments, silent board for quieter operation). The stock hardware is good for 90% of what you need it to do.

4 Likes

K thanks a lot will leave it alone then

Already ordered the Titan aero kit so gonna get that and probably will fit it

Thanks

If I were you, I would cancel the titan aero kit.

2 Likes

Will try… but they said order was already packed

Just so you have to read this again because it’s so true.

5 Likes

52kg of abs ordered for £100

What!!!

2 Likes

Yep guy on gumtree who was selling a job lot of it

52kg shipped to my door

Should last me at least a week

Gotta get good abs settings though

2 Likes

You have to make or buy an enclosure for abs otherwise it warps like crazy. And also have to keep that enclosure hot. That’s the reason why I never got into abs. PLA and Nylon only.

2 Likes

Ah shoot really?

Is there any other way to do it as I don’t have an enclosure

Looked online and no-one mentioned that

Turn your room heating all the way up :rofl:

Nope, you definitely want to have an enclosure for ABS. There’s plenty of DIY options out there though, from Ikea LACK tables to just wrapping the entire thing with trash bags (please don’t do this). Ventilation is also a plus, as ABS fumes are a little more toxic than PLA.

2 Likes

K thanks you don’t by any chance have a link for a good diy enclosure?

Thanks

This https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4324946/files?

Or what about a wooden one made out of an old drawer?
Then put a piece of plastic at the front on hinges

ABS fumes are nasty. Hope you have a place with good ventilation, like a garage.

2 Likes

Got a room left for indoor cycling (always raining in London)
Which has like 4 large windows always left open for ventilation

Can I repurpose a drawer for an enclosure?

Nope sorry, I pretty much exclusively print in PLA nowadays, and when I printed in ABS, it was with printers that had built in enclosures. It doesn’t have to be fancy though, just needs to keep the heat from escaping and fumes in.

2 Likes

In theory if you set it up well can you make good detailed prints in abs
Including large ones?

Of course, the printer’s still doing the same moves, it’s just the plastic that comes out of the nozzle that’s different. It’s just the difficulty of printing that makes it less popular than PLA, which is pretty much plug and play. PLA doesn’t need a heated bed or enclosure, melts at a lower temperature, is (technically) biodegradable, and doesn’t warp as easily, which makes it great for cheaper printers.

2 Likes

K perfect

Hopefully will manage to master it as if I do I got filament for £2 per kg

PLA for the win

@Halbj613 52KG duuuude. My printer is 2 years old and I’m on my 4th kilo :smiley:

3 Likes