3D printer problem - no i don't want to go to a "3d printing forum"

Yes yes this forum is not about 3d printing, i’ll take a shot anyways since i’m not enthusiastic about those machines, it’s simply my slave that i use to make eskate parts with so hence the relevance, i bet there’s a lot of people here that have a good amount of experiance with 3d printing. My printer is a Anycubic i3 mega s shitface deluxe.

So anyways here’s a video link to my problem -https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt8a89v1z7phkkx/20191230_223209.mp4?dl=0

basicly after heating up the printer does it’s usuall thing where it goes to home position puts hot end against the bed and then proceeds to start the print, then suddenly it just stops. sometimes it’s starts the extruding for up to 10 seconds and sometimes like in the video it stops before extruding. Also as seen in the video i can not cancel the print, only way is to shut down the machine. when playing around in menus the machine seems to be fine, it extrudes as it should, it moves as it should through all axis, it heats up as it should.

what i’ve tried so far:
-formating the SD card
-tried another SD card
-tried several files that i know has a good G-code since i’ve made succesfull prints using those before
-usually i use Cura but i also tried to slice with Ideamaker, same result.

it’s fooking wet outside, i need to replace my broken fenders, it’s urgent AF and new years eve is in jeopardy. fellow wizards of the internet, tell me that you got the answers i so desperately seek.

lastly - Happy new years to y’all

PS. Yes, the person that solves my problem can have a Whisky.

1 Like

So, never run into this whatsoever, but what screams to me is some sort of hotend issue? You’re made sure that both the heater and the temp sensor are both seated in the heatbreak properly?
Stock software, right? Have you tried connecting the printer to a computer and running something like cura Just so you can see the terminal?

3 Likes

Clogged hotend and the heatbreak issue.?

3 Likes

i haven’t taken the hotend apart but it looks like everything is seated, it measures the temperature and it has no problem to reach desired heat. as mentioned it extrudes as usual when i run the extrusion motor.

i have not changed any software in the printer no, i have not tried to run it through directly from my PC, i will try that. Maybe it will give me some kind of error message that isn’t showing in the printers screen.

1 Like

i do not think so, since extrusion seems to work fine.

I have the same printer, never had this issue. But to me it seems like the printer itself freezes completely in software. The reason why the touchscreen still responds is that it is one of those “smart” touch screens that have their own controller, so the whole UI runs on the screen itself, completely separated from the printer mainboard. Both communicate over a serial interface. When the mainboard froze it still seems like it is responding, but actually commands from the screen go into the void.

Try another slicer first, then octopi or similar software. Then see if there are firmware updates available.

1 Like

This sounds logical.

as mentioned i tried using both Cura and Ideamaker with the same results, when it comes to software i guess i hook the printer up to my PC and look for software updades on anycubics website

Yeah im in the same boat. Same printer, new problem. Thats why i suggested seeing the terminal of the printer, maybe its throwing an error

1 Like

What happens if you just extrude filament without gcode? Does it freeze there too or just when it runs via gcode?

nah when i heat the hot end up and feed the filament via the “Filament in” buttom that starts the extruder motor the filament extrudes normally.

I just hooked it up to my PC and the computer identifies it as “Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge”, not sure if it usually identifies it by the printers name though. Anyways CURA can’t find the printer so i can’t connect to it, guess something is wrong with the motherboard of the printer. i’ll proceed to anycubics after sale service since it’s only a couple of months old the warranty is valid.

Thank’s for your replies and a happy new year :slight_smile:

What modifications have you done recently?

It almost seems like you’re overloading your PSU. The largest power draw happens when the bed is fully heated, the hotend is heated, and the print starts running. Lots of information throughput going on.

Is your printer on a power strip shared with other high draw items?

1 Like

hmm interesting, no modifications, i’ve been printing on the same settings since i got the printer. 235C hot end and 80C bed. i Didn’t think that a printer this size would consume much power at all. I do share it with my Desktop that got 3 monitors activated but in total that can’t be more than a 1000 watts. i will try to run it with my PC shut off. If i was overlaoding my PSU shouldnt also the screen on the printer shut of though?

Also It doesn’t explain why the printer can’t be found by CURA though, i have been printing directly from my PC without an SD card before so i know it worked at one point.

1 Like

I’ve had the same problem on my CR10 that appeared out of nowhere. Everything worked fine until I started an actual print, then completely stops. It would however vary between stopping before the print, to being able to do 1-2 layers and then freezing. Only way I could fix it was to reflash the firmware. Are you able to do that? If the bootloader is locked, you will need an ISP Programmer (any arduino can be used for as one)

1 Like

yes, thank’s for confirming this! Indeed even with the same G-code file it stops at different points, never goes on for longer than 30 seconds or something though.

Since i can’t connect it to Cura i can’t upload the new firmware directly but i do have an ST LINK V2 laying around somewhere, i bought it to install bootloaders for a vesc but never had to use it.

Yes I would expect the screen to shut down or be unresponsive at the least. Firmware reflash seems the best option. Can you connect to the printer while it’s running and see the commands it’s sending/receiving when it stops?

I guess I would have to print via Cura directly in order to see a terminal for commands/faults, and since Cura doesn’t find the printer i can’t connect to it.

Seems like I have to open the printer up and find a UART port that I can stream data to via the ST link, hopefully there is one.

Do you have a rpi?

One of those nano computers? No I do not have one of those unfortunately

yep. I pointed out octopi for the terminal easiness, which is reachable through the network

1 Like

sorry but this doesn’t really tell me anything, guess you have to speak cave language :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: