3D printed press fit pulley + epoxy (help?)

I designed and printed a 3D press fit pulley that has a really nice, snug fit in my abec clones, but it slowly slips out when weighted/riding.

This is already my second iteration of this pulley, so I’m trying not to waste too much more time/filament.

I thought about designing a seat for a regular 609 bearing with a lip that presses back up against the wheel, but I feel like the heat from the friction of the bearing on this seat will NOT be good for the material (in this case, carbon fiber PLA).

Is dumping some 5 minute epoxy through the opposite side into the spokes a bad idea?

The only other thing I can think of is putting a washer in between the 2nd (pulley) bearing and the seated lip, but I don’t know that that would make things any less melty.

2 Likes

In my experience the only material to use is Nylon for press fit pulleys. Any type of PLA is just not abrasion resistant enough. ABS works for a little while.

1 Like

Imo a press fit pulley bearing should not really get hot… The pulley itself only sees load from the belt which, coupled with a nice bearing, should run nice and cold… Is the press-fit pulley bearing just floating on the axle? How is it backing out?

I’ve had good results with CF-PLA for bolt on, so I’m trying my luck with press fit. It’s a very very tight fit, but the belt still pulls it out. I did have my belts pretty tight though.

Yeah, it’s just floating on the axle. The alignment of my pulleys is pretty much spot on, but even still, I guess the belt is tight enough that it’s somehow pulling the pulley out of the wheel, despite being such a tight fit that I cannot pull it out with my hands.

I’ll try to design it with a seat for a bearing and see how that goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

There should be something, spacers etc pushing the bearing of the press-fit pulley against the wheel… Shouldn’t just be held in by friction alone

1 Like

I’ve never used a press fit pulley before, so this was my first attempt at designing one. I will be sure to do that!

Thats how press fits work :slight_smile:
The pulley is directly pushed in by a bearing with a lip or larger bore. Its why thry require an extended axle, because otherwise all 3 bearings dont fit standard axles. You can make a design that fits a standard axle if you use a flanged bearing that is also wide enough to work as an inner wheel bearing at the same time

1 Like

I’ve designed a similar setup. Using a 23mm OD 15mm ID bearing to rest the pulley on the truck. Easy to turn this into any 3M 5M whatever T gearing. All a test at this point, not tried on a board yet.

Is that used? Print quality seems a bit sketchy :sweat_smile:

1 Like

YEAH… that looks wonky AF!!!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Luckily I’m using TB218s, so I have some extra room to play around :slight_smile:

@kook You’re cheating by showing me a pulley for direct drive :stuck_out_tongue:
But Yeah, I had something very similar in mind.

1 Like

I was just referencing print quality to the post above… :crazy_face: :fist_right:t4: :moneybag: :fist_left:t4: :bikini: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ahh… I see your example and raise you mine:

This is my current version… I haven’t yet printed out the one with the bearing.

3 Likes

dats some damn nice quality brother!

material?

1 Like

Thanks! It’s carbon fiber-infused PLA (only about 15% CF).

Makes for an amazing, almost sparkly finish, and much stronger than regular PLA. Prints just as easily too!

It has by far been my favorite filament to print with.

1 Like

I really like carbon pla… Like this…

Works really great… But I’m now making my adapters from nylon or vapor-smoothed ABS

2 Likes

What printer do you have?

I have an Ender 3, which has been treating me very well. I’m gonna be installing a hardened steel nozzle, all-metal hotend etc (whenever they feel like showing up from aliexpress), so maybe after that I’ll try some other filaments.

1 Like

I’ve got an Ender 3 too… geared direct-drive all metal V6 hotend!! It’s been treating me great as well!

1 Like

Oh right, I guess I might need to go direct drive.

Do you find it has affected your print quality or speed, since the motor’s now on the X-axis?

I see some pretty cheap direct drive mounting kits on aliexpress… did you buy an aluminum one, or print your own mount?

1 Like