3D printed Landyachtz Switchblade 40 enclosure

Hi, I’m trying to 3d print or get some sort of 3d model of the landyachtz switchblade 40 so I can model a suitable enclosure for it. I’ve got everything built up except the enclosure. I’ve tried making one out of sheet metal but unfortunately it didn’t work out too well. I’ve looked around and I’m aware that there is a premade enclosure sold by eBoards but I would rather not pay 125$ for an enclosure as I have a 3d printer and access to fiberglass & sheet metal. Does anyone have a 3d model for the landyachtz switchblade 40 or have designed some sort of enclosure? Thanks in advance!

My guess is that in trying to avoid paying $125 you may inadvertently end up paying more :sweat_smile:

That said tho, there are several threads on this forum that are dedicated to sharing 3d models, but your best bet is to teach yourself some cad and get stuck into it yourself!

2 Likes

That is very true! It’ll be closer to 200$ with shipping + taxes. I’ve read through the 3d printed enclosure posts on this forum and I did like the photogrammetry method a user had, which the user was also making one for the switchblade 40. I’ve got a point cloud generating in the background but will try my usual method of importing a photo as a canvas and following from that. Cheers for the reply tho!

I would really advise against 3d printing a whole enclosure for long time use. The tech is almost there, but not quite. Great for prototyping and temp solutions.

If you are trying to save some $, maybe see if anyone on the forms has one to sell, or try making your own with fiberglass.

I keep meaning to make a landyachtz switch build myself, but funny enough I don’t want to drop the $ on the enclosure :sweat_smile:

Yeah mate. Decided on a folded sheet metal enclosure. I didn’t bother to get the dimensions perfect so there’s gonna be gaps which I’ll fill with silicone/butyl tape. I kinda just want this to be somewhat temporary. Use for a few months until I can afford a deck with enclosure. If you’d like I’m happy to show you what it looks like and send over the cad files once it arrives in about 2 days.

1 Like

I’ve got it & installed the enclosure! Lmk if you’d like more photos. There are quite large gaps but eh it works and fits decent. Had a few problems when I was installing it as I made the mistake of measure once drill twice so there are 2 wood threaded inserts that didn’t fit so I gotta do something about it when I remove it. But overall, I think I’m just gonna leave it as this for now.

Here’s the inside of the enclosure.

2 Likes

Here’s the cad file if you’d like to replicate it. It’s designed for 1.5mm thick aluminium and the bend angles aren’t perfect so when you screw it in it’s designed for the screw to bend the sheet metal as you screw it in.
Landyachtz Switchblade 40 sheet metal enclosure.step (171.0 KB)
I uploaded in STEP format as I believe it’s the more ‘universal’ format but I can export it to a file you’d like!

1 Like

Looking pretty good! Some weatherproofing and looks like you got a build.

I’m not sure how conductive that sheet metal is, but it might be a good idea to line it with something? Maybe someone else can chim in on that, but either way, it’s looking nice

Ah it’s powder coated ao the insulation should be decent. Plus, I’ve insulated everything that needs to be insulated. I’ll ride this around for a month or so til I can get the land cruiser deck!