3D printables for esk8

What’s your printing method/material/settings? That part looks really nice.

3 Likes

It’s PLA on a cheap FDM printer. I do get pretty nice parts out of it though. If you get PLA with a metallic flake it hides the layer lines and looks nicer. It’s Inland pla from Microcenter.

0.15mm layer height, printed pretty slow.

6 Likes

You’d have to stack 3 pieces to match the design as is, since you can’t get the fastener counterbores or the spoke cutouts with 2d manufacturing. 3D printing is ideal for this if those features are necessary.

It could be designed around, may give it a shot for personal use

1 Like

+1 for Microcenter and Inland. I’m very happy to have one nearby. You aren’t worried about heat affecting the PLA?

Heat from what? Never had post print heat issues but I also don’t live in a desert.

2 Likes

I’ve had PLA warp or droop just from the sun beating down on it long enough. Might not be something to worry about depending on where you are, but I’ve pretty much abandoned PLA for anything that will be outside for more than a few minutes at a time.

2 Likes

Guess it all depends. This bumper handle is PLA, it’s seen over a 1000miles in all kinds of weather in the years since I printed it. Still carry the board by it.

6 Likes

Same here. I feel like pla does 99% of the jobs I need.

I made an adventure time ring toss game and it stayed outside for 2 years and none of the rings broke. Definitely faded the colors out though.

More esk8 related, my grab bar is still going strong as well.

I love being 15 minutes from microcenter. I did notice they added a bunch of variants of pla recently. Pla lite, pla tuff, and maybe pla max. I can’t remember the 3rd type I saw. Higher printing temps on the tuff, lots of pastel colors on the lite. No other technical data differences listed.

8 Likes

Gotta love that “we changed the naming scheme, you figure out the rest” kind of marketing :joy:

4 Likes

All i have ever used.

Made my light mounts out of PLA as well as my esc air scoop mounted on top of a black box

4 Likes

I hadn’t seen the Tuff or Max yet. I bought some of the Lite thinking it was the foaming stuff, which ends up with an interesting texture. Nope. According to an employee at microcenter it’s just lighter weight. It’s pretty absurd they put absolutely zero effort into explaining the differences.

Now you guys have me questioning my allegiance to PETG.

2 Likes

Printing 2 of em side by side has me thinking I’m making a dildo…

3 Likes

This statement is only valid if you only use PLA for parts that don’t require tolerances beyond what PLA can handle. I on the other hand wanted to print as much as possible and found many applications that PLA just doesn’t cut it.

I mean PLA is wonderful for prototype prints, but can’t be used for enclosures that need to flex, for riser blocked or deck savers that need to be wrenched down on, or for mud guards that need to not break on impact with a large rock. I’ve printed all the above in PLA initially, and after they broke, now have a near indestructible enclosure, mud guard, and riser block printed in TPU (deck savers just shouldn’t be plastic).

I only got one roll of PLA since I got my 3d printer and I still have it.
My go to filament for 90% of the stuff I print is PETG.
The rest is TPU which I hate using due to the low speeds and finicky setup.

2 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

Oh certainly, I just mean to say 99% of the problems I personally encounter, pla does the job.

I’ve used pla for risers and tail bones before but definitely would never choose it for bash guards. It’s got better impact resistance than petg on a material level but tpu is king on the flexi absorby stuff.

2 Likes

I just came across this JST-XH crimp extractor:

We need that one. Somebody please make the model. Cheers.

And while you are at it, we also need one for JST-PH.

18 Likes

:flushed: Yep we really need this!

2 Likes

Likes, likes, but no models. That’s typical!

I hope this thing works…

8 Likes