3D-printable Tanuki Hubs! šŸ¦

Not willing to put my life on the line in the hopes that my layer adhesion is good enough.

But if you are, by all means go for it.

6 Likes

Has anyone actually posted a pic of delaminated hubs resulting in badness? Like, well printed hubs in abs/petg/pc/pa ripping apart when they shouldnā€™t?

I mean, I have the evidence that li ion cells in the hands of diyers is a bad idea. Lipos burn houses down.

I think the Big Esk8 Wheel Conglomerate is taking us for a ride.

6 Likes

I believe @simosmcmuffin (the dude who made the flexibms) had some pretty epic 3dp hub destruction photos. Canā€™t find them tho, my internet is crap rn

:rofl: just for the record, i have no skin in that game :rofl:

4 Likes

Not trying to derail OPs thread with semi jokes. I got a set of files. Wireless remotes scare me more than failure prone hubs.

I had a trampa a while back and a belt broke and tangled up in the closed belt box, locking that tire solidly in place. It ground down and popped, did not fall.

Another time, I was rolling on mbs purple streets inflated to 70psi, it popped and did not fall.

Rolling near Tahoe, axle nut came off, entire hub went one way, I went the other, did not fall.

As long as printed hubs fail over 5-10 seconds, Iā€™m ok with that. Vesc cut outs for 500ms is white hot panic.

9 Likes

Haha yeah i hear you.

The way I see it is that esk8 is dangerous enough without introducing more questionable components into the mix.

To be fair to the 3dp hubs, @psychotiller was selling them for some time and i donā€™t recall ever hearing of a single failure.

But not all printers are equal, not all materials are equal and there is just far too much ā€˜unknownā€™ for me to consider it.

3 Likes

Here is a PETG R-Type medium sitting at 6 bar (~90PSI). When I started testing these I had a prototype sitting on a shelf for about 2 months at 7bar (~100PSI). If you inflate these to a working pressure of 3bar (45 PSI) youā€™ll be good in almost every usecase. I think the tube will pop before anything else happens. I also included several warnings about weak layer adhesion filaments in the first post.

If youā€™re really scared about delamination you can also print the hub standing up.

If you donā€™t trust your printing skills, just print one hub, inflate it to 6bar like in the picture above and let it sit for a while.

1 Like

Also, who rides above 3 bar? They are hard as a rock in these high ranges, really uncomfortable. :smiley:

As I have mentioned, iā€™ve got no skin in this game and iā€™m not intentionally trying to sour your sale thread, but Iā€™m not sure this constitutes as a valid test for our use case.

Maybe mine, cos my boards seem to sit on shelves for months at a time, but most people here actually ride their boards.

2 Likes

Well I do ride my own hubs for a while now. Not at 7 bars mind you, but I go out on 3 bars almost every day. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Super keen to see some people riding them! Sorry to shit on your thread, i just needed to say something.

1 Like

Np. I included a warning about high working pressures in the first post, so at least people are now more aware I hope.

1 Like

Just as a follow up, even if a rim flange rips off, the hub will still stay on the truck. Itā€™ll propably feel like you just popped a tube. Canā€™t say for sure though, as I never popped a flange before. I made sure it stays where it should.

2 Likes

Would it be more secure if the flanges were seperate parts held on by bolts?

Iā€™m not sure, that introduces a lot of new failure points.

Extra wide jeep style wheels?

Actually if you get laser cut rings (say 0.125" 7075?) And have 5 or 6 pan head bolts with nylocks as the outside lip thereā€™s no real way for the hub to fail since all the plastic is in compression

Spokes are still a bit iffy but at least thereā€™s no constant stress trying to delaminate it

4 Likes

If the side wall falls off the edge the tire will still stay on but thereā€™s gonna be a lot of sinking, lot more than a flat

If itā€™s the front wheels fail I think itā€™s gonna pull really hard, if the inside edge of the back wheel fails it will probably jam in the drive and lock up

2 Likes

Any hope of a kegel core version of these hubs?

2 Likes

Cool idea, I think I can make something out of this. :smiley:

Well the point of this is that all you need is a 3D printer. That being said, a printed ring would work too I think, so a good suggestion nonetheless.

Iā€™m not so sure if a kegel core would be a good idea, because kegel pulleys are usually around the 40T mark maximum, which is too small for pneumatics. If there is enough interest I could make a dedicated design for it, without fitting pulleys though.

1 Like

I think itā€™s an interesting idea for prototyping, but yeah I donā€™t see how this is safe at all.

How sure are you these wheels printed in PLA wonā€™t separate when someone is doing 30+ mph? I donā€™t understand how this is not dangerous as fuck, but Iā€™m open to being educated. There are so many ways to get injured in this hobby already, why introduce another very obvious path to catastrophic failure?

How much would it cost to print them in metal or something stronger than PLA?

Iā€™m sorry for shitting on your thread. I genuinely think this is a cool project, but probably better to raise these questions now instead of later.

Hi All. Normaly I decided just check this thread to see what all will be discussed, but I must say something:)

1. 3D printing gives us strong tool for innovation of oure hobby:) But it is not all solving tool. 3D printed hubs issue have lot of points to discuss. I was also play with this idea but in case that You can buy injected molded probably glass fiber tuned MBS cheap hubs, it have no sense. Too dangerous compared with money savings ride on it.

2.To put on it tyres and applied pressure from outside is not enough tested. How robust the bearings are fixed in case of crash? How big influence on it have environment temperature, humidity, UV sun light? To be on safety side You need carefully check conditions of hubs before each ride and in case of doubt need to be printed new. Bigger problem can be micro breaks inside , probably this will happen between printed connections.

1. Definitely 3D printed hubs is a big innovation, but in this time it is over engineering, because we have more safety and not so expensive solutions. But sure, it is up to all on what will ride. 3D printed hubs can work, but why I should risk my self. If Somebody will ride on it few years, with different areas, close to sun, deep winter atc. with no issue, and with different 3D printed setups, mechines etc. than I will have no doubts. It is very interesting topic but too difficult, if Yo are able to solve it, You are the BOSS :slight_smile:
3 Likes