20S antispark ? - AS150 gets blown

Those pesky dick-shaped solder balls

2 Likes

I’m so glad someone else beat me to this

4 Likes

I wonder who picked those components

(I didn’t pick the MOSFET)

Well nice to know that flipsky’s QC is nonexistent.

It’s a fixed dV/dt rise time, so the capacitance determines the inrush current. Following MOSFET SOA tells you maximum rated capacitance the switch will work with.

1 Like

There’s another issue to deal with though for any higher power AS switch. That’s the one many engineers don’t know about and the one I’m convinced leads to some of the failures.

2 Likes

Hahahaha I was gonna tag you in and ask if you were involved in this one as well, that’s cool

1 Like

Its the same as the smart antispark, the gate driver, mosfets, diodes, and input capacitor are all scaled up from 12s to 24s.

1 Like

Wish I’d found this thread sooner and I see the Jeti has a decent resistor, but in the meantime got the QS8 manufacturer to make some QS8 plugs with a 15ohm resistor (5w). Surprised they would do a small batch of 20.

1 Like

So trying to understand the benefits of these Flipsky and Maytech antisparks. Once the connection from the battery is made to the ESC all is good right (as in antisparks won’t matter at this point)? And when you turn on and off the ESC (maybe via a switch connected to the ESC) there cannot be a rush of current because it’s already connected, right? It’s when we connect and disconnect the battery to the ESC that the rush can happen and damage the ESC? Or am I missing an important step here?

2 Likes

going through this same experiment.

got a AS150, measures 5.7Ω from tip to sleeve. feeds two little focers. at 20s.
it sparks every time, from female connector to the tip of the male connector. ie with the resistor in the path.

so. i think it’s spark from inrush without the resistor blown.

will need to iimplment alternate solution. either parallel AS path or Jeti

1 Like

You mean every time you plug it in or turn it on via switch?

every time it’s plugged in. it is the switch.

2 Likes

Ah gotcha. Yeah I’m going to try using those custom QS8s as a loopkey and see how that goes. What is a Jeti?

:skateboard:

Jeti doesn’t have as nice a nylon sleve though.

1 Like

Right but dang 30 ohms, how’s it going to look on your setup as the switch?

i ride an an RC car. so… a lot like the pic above. unplug the batteries. (no loop key)

1 Like

Screenshot_20221107-150636_Chrome

This hurts my soul Fess

Edit: just realised that’s probably a series connection. Carry on :rofl:

4 Likes

this is an image from the jeti site.

3 Likes

Hi again, have these Jeti AS connectors worked out ok while you’ve had them? My FS is holding up fine but it’s on a low voltage board, got a slightly higher one coming up

They are performing perfectly so far! I’m going 22S and we’ll see if they keep on that way.

1 Like