1st Gen eFlowboard

-I replaced the original 14 wheels with 6 skateboard park wheels and 4 inline skate wheels, hoping the harder wheels would give less resistance. It’s a squirrelly ride as you can see. I’ll be restoring the original wheels.
Struts on the drivewheel assembly helped with wobble, but when the board is up on edge, the drivewheel chatters. I’m happy enough with this one that I’m optimistic about Gen2, which has a drivewheel placed at the center of an old snowboard.

Mute advised!

5 Likes

With such small skate wheels on it, do you have any issues with cracks?

I think using some cruiser wheels or smaller long board wheels might be worth a shot as they have far less resistance when used on surfaces that aren’t perfectly smooth. I’ve had my skateboard come to a complete stop due to rough pavement while on that same pavement it was just slightly uncomfortable on my long board. I’m talking standard long board wheels and not the giant wheels used on esk8

It looks like it could be a lot of fun even if it is a little sketchy. Kind of makes me want to try and put one together sometime in the future

Never seen a flow board in action let alone a motorized one. So, super cool to see what you can do on one. Definitely has those snowboard vibes. Was going to ask if this is Tahoe, then I saw your profile, nice!

I went over a couple two inch cracks with no problem. Maybe having the board propelled from behind helps. I tried a combination of three different wheels, the center and side wheels were fairly soft and the two to the side of the center were harder park wheels. The center one was a medium width longboard wheel and the side wheels were made for Carver boards, Roundhouse is the name.

I concluded that the original number of inline skate wheels, 14, provides the smoothest transition in and out of turns. Thanks for asking!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s working better than i expected. In that first video i posted i experimented with a mix of skateboard wheels of different durometers. It was a sketchy ride so i went back to 14 narrow wheels like the designers had intended. My next iteration involves a 146 snowboard with a drive wheel directly in the center. I have higher hopes for that one to more closely simulate snowboard-like, surfy turns.

3 Likes

…And thanks for the suggestion. The next iteration is a snowboard with a drive wheel in the middle of the board. The board is slightly V shaped, the tip and tail are higher than the center. I mounted the drivewheel so that the front and back wheels are up off the ground a maybe two inches when the board is unweighted. I’m thinking that by getting my weight over my back foot when I’m about to go over a big crack the front wheel will float over it.

3 Likes