12s6p p42a pack build plans.

After i have successfully messed up my latest 12s4p p42a battery pack, and along that my elbow, out of anger i will be building a bigger one. - it wasnt big enough anyways

I was thinking about using these precut nickel strips, if i run the battery at 25 amps / cell thats 150A - will these hold up?

Also could a pair of 12 awg be enough? Looking at my spreadsheet and a pair of 10 AWG seems more suitable, but how will i terminate the ends? its already hard enough to fit one into the XT-90.

Does anyone have any experience with reclaimed cells from NKON?

1 Like

They will absolutely hold up. I’m presently running the same ones and they’ve been without any issue. They’re 0.2mm pure nickel so they’re robust enough for your pack for sure.

It depends. Is this a street board or a Mountainboard? If the former than yes. If the latter, I’d upgrade to 10awg.

I’ve fit 8awg into xt90s several times. 10awg is very possible. If you want, you can upgrade to a QS8 but it’s overkill

And this time, run every step of your battery in the battery builder’s thread with lots of pics.

1 Like

I’ve got an xt60 that someone managed to fit 8awg wire onto. I removed it completely though since it was a fake xt60 and now have it around purely as a heat sink when soldering onto xt60 female connectors since the 8awg wires work well for it.

What soldering iron are you using, and are you using a spare connector to help prevent the pins from melting the plastic and moving while you solder? Connecting the other end of an xt90 into the one you’re soldering to makes it to where you don’t need to worry about the pins moving around while soldering.

1 Like

Street board, the same everything as last time except a bigger, new battery.
But the latest log showed several 100A spikes, and i wasn’t even going that hard, just playing. So ill go with 10 AWG this time for sure.

will do

At that point the main limiting factor starts to be the connector in my opinion.

Its a 30W precision one, i don’t know the brand. I figured that out.

Well, expect an update on this post in 2-3 weeks time, its quite hard to weld in a full hand plaster cast :smiley:

Which is part of why I only use it as a heat sink when soldering other connectors. That and the wires were just too stiff and big to keep when the larger wires would have be pointless.

I’ve had issues with my old 40w iron when it came to basic soldering on my board, but the iron also struggled to stay at temp when it was just on the stand and not being used. Getting a better ironm made soldering connectors so much easier and faster

1 Like

12 awg will easily handle 100 amp spikes. When we talk about amperage, we’re talking constant current. 12 awg will do ~80 amps continuous in the lengths that we use it in. For short bursts, it can handle double that.

In any case, you do what you’re comfortable with. Over-egineering the pack is better than not making it robust enough.

I’d imagine it’s damn near impossible :sweat_smile:

4 Likes