12s5p Odd design Question

Finally starting my battery build (last few months I got distracted). Long story short my budget build enclosure is strange, but I want to make it work. I’m trying to build a 12s5p, but in an elongated fashion, with 2 rows only. As I connect the parallels in series, every other connection would be a long straight line, which has me worried about conductivity. I’m no electrical engineer but it feels like putting a single strip of nickel across 10 batteries in a straight line (5pos and 5 neg) is bad for conductivity/heat correct?

I understand most people tend to solder wires between flaps on each set of parallels for battery builds like this. Can I achieve the same result by using square grid nickel, but for the straight lines just fold an extra grid over the edge for increased conductivity?

Pic is for mock reference of what I mean by folding it over, but obviously the length of the yellow line

1 Like

Posted the wrong pic, wont let me edit:

Ive been here and done that, it will work but will not last. If you are making a pack for a scoot ot bike it will probably be ok for longer but no skate has suspension or enough tire to dampen the road vibration enough that it won break the nickel. It will develop cracks on either side of one of the many stress points between cells and best case break one connection. Worst case it will break on both sides and free up one of those little strips and that now free floating pice of nickel will short something out.

Those grid type strips are not made for eskate vibration and those cell spacers are not rigid enough to prevent it. Use lots of fish paper and lots of silicon - hot glue won’t hold up in a candy bar pack like this. I tried and tried in vain. Please don’t charge it unattended, have a plan to drag its flaming corpse to a safe location. Probably it will just die a quiet death like my attempts but it is a serious risk so take it seriously. Good luck

2 Likes

I appreciate the warning, I don’t take building batteries lightly. That being said I am a perfectionist and I have seen quite a few batteries built on here and online for esk8 being held on by hot glue and spot welds alone, batteries created by esk8 vets. My enclosure has enough space for padding material and I am splitting the battery into sections, its not going to be a full 3ft long candy bar which is maybe where the miscommunication lies.