10s4p charges to 36v instead of 42v?

From my understanding of a 10s4p battery its nominal voltage should be around 36-37v depending on the type of cells u use and the pack itself should be able to charge to 42v but i am not getting that result. the pack charges to 36v and then the bms says its fully charged. all the balance wires are connected and are working and i am using a 36v 4a charger from luna cycle (ill post a link at the bottom) with a dc output of 42v and 4a. am i possibly just using the wrong type of charger?

use a multimeter to check what voltage ur charger is outputting, be careful not to short anything when u do that. if ur charger is outputting 42v, then its most likely bms issue.

report back afterwards

1 Like

it is putting out 41.5-42v and the bms is brand new. its a 10s 26v 40a daly bms

can u snap a pic of the bms? its possible that u got the lifepo4 version instead of li-ion

Ill do better than a pic. A link

…this is why a link doesn’t help…because the box could have been labelled incorrectly and u actually got the lifepo4 version instead, a 10s lifepo4 pack full charge voltage is at 36.4v, which fits what u r describing

2 Likes

funny thing is…the box wasnt labled :sweat_smile:

lemme take the ole girl apart real fast

maybe post it in the battery building thread would be more useful, there are many battery experts there who monitor the thread regularly

1 Like

honestly u and @b264 have been amazing help with my journey lol

4 Likes

2 Likes

it is the correct version, i guess its time to ask around in the battery building thread for more answers

I’d be checking the individual cell voltages as my first point of reference. If you have one or more groups reaching 4.2v before the rest, the bms is doing it’s job by cutting off the charge.

5 Likes

Sounds like a dead p-group to me