ZESC warrior6 (new BB variant)

Interesting, i was suspicious of sensor related stuff as well, let me conduct some tests and get back to you. I’m running a hodge podge of a few branches.

I guess my watchdog is also related to EMI. I add a copper plate under the fets, then the problem disappears.

5 Likes

my plan now is that optimize the layout or design a new DRVless version.

7 Likes

When are we expecting fully functional Zesc for sale?

Sounds like errorneous current measurments or glitches on the drv are causing an execution path that triggers the watchdog reset.

This is fundamentally a firmware issue, but neat that you found a hardware workaround.

The issue with moving away from DRV is that you lose all of the protections it provides, so I’d recommend implementing overcurrent comparators to disable PWM.

3 Likes

yes, drv is powerful but it is too sensitive. my another drvless vesc has been running for 1 year without any problem. so I’m thinking about making a drvless vesc.

5 Likes

This is a DRVless and vesc based esc. It is called warrior6.
It works well under 120a. There is no watchdog issue anymore.
I will do more tests. If everything works fine, I will put this version in production and let you guys to paly with it. :wink:

32 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are you using as the motor control IC in lieu of the drv?

I guess half bridge dual drivers per phase? DRV isn’t really needed anyway, it’s practical and compact but limited specs for what people do with it here.
Dedicated drivers per phase is way more reliable. Split the load.

Curious to know what’s used here!

6 Likes

You have my attention

1 Like

Can we still get the really nice heatsink with the hidden electrolytic caps? I loved the vibe of the silver aluminium.

2 Likes

The ic is a triple half-bridge 300v mosfetfet/igbt driver. It has internal dead time and trans-conduction protection.

7 Likes

new deign still fits old aluminum heatsink.

2 Likes

Wonderful, 0 complaints here.

Under what conditions and settings?

Vesc 6+, Running 5.01, was happening when I applied throttle after a few seconds of free wheeling.
Settings were 50 batt amps, 80 phase amps on a direct drive hub motor. I still haven’t figured out what the problem is.

@Mr.Electronicist did u have such problem with old FW?

No, I didn’t have the problem on the old FW, but It’s also a new build for this year so it’s mainly been used on 5.01.

It’s happening on my slave vesc though, that is only connected via can bus so that should limit the causes to be just hall sensor input, vesc hardware problem, or FW problem.

I messaged Trampa and he said Ben hasent ever seen that error pop up. And to upload new FW and if that doesn’t fix it then he thought it might be a hardware issue… I did re upload FW and still have intermittent problems

Dis a short test on this DRVless vesc based esc.

13S 3P 7.8Ah 5c 18650 battery
8inch hub motor
tool seetings: 120a phase current, 50a/-20a batt current, 2200w forward, -800w regen, foc 40khz.

12 Likes

Awesome!

Will DRV-less run standard firmware or will it need a fork?

1 Like