XT90S Loopkey sparking when inserted

So I noticed my loopkey sometimes makes some small ornage sparks on the plus side of the xt90s. Not sure what causes it. Opened my enclosre and everything looks fine the board also works normally after I insert the loopkey. I took the insulation off to show the connection. The loopkey is positioned on the positive lead from the battery to the vescs. Any ideas?

2 Likes

Usually this is exactly what will be expected if you ride with the loop key plugged in almost all the way. It has to be plugged in all the way. The resistor inside might be burnt up. Can you measure to see if it’s 5.6Ω ?

7 Likes

I think i can confirm with certainty that I drove around with it not fully inserted. Measured it, is this the correct way to do it? If so I measure 6.0

1 Like

Yes, that’s what it should be. 6.0Ω is within the typical 10% manufacturing tolerance for 5.6Ω. If that’s the case, your key might be fine.

But I don’t know what else would cause this. I would still make another key anyway. It’s a couple dollars worth of parts.

1 Like

Thanks for the help! Ill make a new one and lets see if it still does this.

1 Like

Make sure the panel side is not too far inside, keeping the key from being fully inserted.

4 Likes

This is an indication of a problem, for sure. It’s definitely related to whatever is wrong.

What XT90 male did you use? (on the board side) It it real Amass brand?

1 Like

I inserted it straight though without wiggling to test if it would still spark and it did still spark/pop so thats why I deleted the comment. I bent this connector inward a little, tried twice and no sparks for now.

Im using a black hobbyking xt90 on the male side.

Just also noticed my set screws apparently are not enough to keep the male xt90 in place thats why its further down now. Maybe i should glue the xt90 in place afterall.

1 Like

Glue always fails. Use epoxy. JB Weld 8265-S Original Steel is a good one to try if you don’t have any.

2 Likes