[wiki Sro] reviews

SMH, another thread where the experienced blast the less experienced for trying to share info they think will be useful.

IMO @Halbj613 has found that the community lacks information or had issues finding info that would have been helpful to him when he was first buying parts and wanted to share the knowledge he has gained through his experience, something that should be commended.

Rather than taking the easy route and shitting on the reviews of a less experienced rider. Why not look at what problem they experienced / are trying to solve and use your experience to guide their effort? Sure that takes way more effort, but if your not willing to do that atleast don’t shit on what they are trying to do.

3 Likes

Probably because he didn’t use the search function lol

3 Likes

Why don’t you link a single thread that is even close to this one.
where instead of having one million different reviews on a single product spanning over a massive forum instead here is a thread where all of that can be linked into on easy simple search

1 Like

I’d gladly add reviews if I could.
I just think it’s silly to negatively review a product due to conditions it wasn’t designed for :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@Halbj613 He can’t find the info ;).

You need to charge your phone, also what is your point?

Do I need one?
My phone is fine.
My phone being dead doesn’t change the fact that the review is shit lol

You do need a point, otherwise why post other than to troll someone trying to help?

If you think the review is bad, post your own review, so he can add it to the list.

If you haven’t picked up on my point yet I’m not going to explain it for a 5th time …

So you don’t have one and your trolling.

If that’s easier for you to comprehend sure

Skunk’s opinion is that reviewing an item negatively because it didn’t perform well in an area it wasn’t designed around is a bad way of reviewing.

Going back to Skunk’s example with some hyperbole, you wouldn’t drive a car into the ocean and then review it with “Didn’t float properly and couldn’t gain speed”.

The wheels innability to work in rain and gravel is a general issue with Urethane and would be expected, hence it shouldn’t belong to a review of a single model but rather in a guide comparing wheel types.

EDIT: If you want to mention the wheels negatives in a constructive way for new people to learn, it would be better to word it like “As expected of Urethane wheels, they did not perform well in gravel and rain”

3 Likes

Gets it ^^

2 Likes

If I knew that it wasn’t designed for that enviroment I wouldn’t.

I would review a goodyear that didn’t expclitely state that it wasn’t for wet weather badly if I flew of the road in the rain.

It should indeed! @Halbj613 It seems the general consensus here is that urethane doesn’t work in the wet! Could you amend your wiki to add that generic section for a wheel material? @Skunk and @Krindor have provided information that would be useful in that section for urethane wheels.

1 Like

It’s not a negative review. It’s an experience and should be considered as such. It’s subjective yes, but I would rather see 10 experiences with a product than none.
Right now this doesn’t exist. You can find people building with products, but rarely can you track their expediences.

I just bought a 6.6 Vesc and although I found some users who built with it, there was little follow up information for how it was performing down the road.

And like all things. Users who have an experience that meets there expectations will typically just be happy. They don’t see the value in sharing that. Whereas a user with a negative experience is much more likely to share that experience.
Reviews are always skewed toward the negative because of this

3 Likes

Abec 97mm Re fly: @Skunk : 30th November 2019:
I live in the PNW. Lots of rain and rough roads.
I have two sets of these wheels for good reason.
Short of huge urethane (100boa/107abec/111abec/110tb)
These are some of my favorite wheels when you don’t have clearance for huge urethane or Nummies and they feel much better than any 90mm wheels I’ve tried.
I can charge over root broken asphalt and railroad tracks without fear. Have well over 500 miles on one set.

Abec 107mm superfly : @Skunk : 30th November 2019:

absolutely love these wheels. Much bigger contact patch than their 97 mm counterpart. They do weigh a ton and need decks with appropriate clearance but when they fit they feel great. When properly maintained I’ve known a few people get well over a thousand miles on a set with little to no chunking.

4 Likes

Thank you @Skunk didn’t realise it wasn’t a wiki it is now changed and you can upload yourselves

1 Like

(all December 3rd)

Wheels:

• ABEC 11 97mm Flywheels 75a: A soft upgrade from China 'thane flywheel clones. After 1500 miles I only had a small chunk from the sidewall and the powered wheels had some wear from the torque. These wheels will easily last many more miles and feel good doing it. They are a bit narrow for my taste, I found with the wider contact patch the 85mm Caguamas have, felt more smooth and vibration dampening albeit with the smaller diameter did not roll over big bumps as smoothly.

• Orangotang Caguama 77a: Wider than the classic flywheels and feel softer too. Wide contact patch reduced road “noise” and vibrations. The relatively small diameter did not cause issues for me at high speed when hitting bumps and cracks.

• Trampa Superstar 8" Primo: I like the tires, they have a grippy tread pattern offroad and have fairly good rolling resistance on tarmac. The compound seems to last a long time unless you’re constantly doing burnouts. The hubs themselves are nice quality too but are a pain in the butt to unscrew and change tubes/tires. The plastic rim is easy to scratch when removing the wheel from the axle. Mine wobbled slightly as completes from Trampa but soon wore in to little to no wobble.

Trucks:

• MBS Matrix 2: Wide ass channel trucks with 12mm hollow axles. Seem to be pretty sturdy with the metal base plate but the nylon ones have broken on people. I have not tried many spring trucks but the urethane shock block dampers offer a nice predictable compression and return when leaning.

• Surf Rodz 200mm RKP: Beautiful and many colors, a good all around budget precision truck that is readily available in esk8. Options for rake and negative rake (I think negative, not no rake) but the common 10mm axles can have issues with dodgey 10mm bearings. Many traditional longboarders have issues with the bushing seat but I don’t see a problem with it. That said I don’t know the ins and outs of truck geometry. Does not match caliber geometry.

• Surf Rodz TKP: Currently testing, will have thoughts soon.

Motors:

• Carvon v4 110kv: Fast, runs hot, 90+mm wheels or clearance will be an issue. Fairly easy to repair and maintain but there is no support from Jerry the Carvon owner so if you’re looking for DD, @torqueboards is your best bet.

• Hobbyking SK8: Cheap little sealed motors, tiny phase wires. Have not had issues yet.

• Maytech 6880: Ran it into a curb and it is all fine and dandy. Pretty much bulletproof

• Flipsky 6354: Currently testing, will know more soon.

ESC:

• FocBox: Stable at 12s for over 2000 miles. Did blow up one at 6s 60 amps when cogging at a stop. Don’t abuse and it will last you

• FlipSky 4.20 dual: Testing, will know more. Did not explode when powered on with shorted phase wires.

• Maytech 100a: Big footprint, but solid esc. Comes with a nice switch to turn on and off that didn’t fail on me.

Motor Mounts:

• Overion Chain kit: Love it, beefy and simple but have not had issues despite the abuse I put them through. Will move slightly on the hanger if you do not have the set screws tight. The sprocket spacers are 20mm, but I found 25mm and removing wheel nuts gives a more secure mounting solution.

• Boardnamics Long: nice press fit mounts but requires annoying tool manuevers when mounting or adjusting orientation. May have clearance issues between motor phase wires and some nuts on the mount. depending on setup.

1 Like

You are able to add it yourself to the original post

Please do

Shameless bump bump bump

Wanna see where this goes