Where did Inboard go wrong?

Failure to renovate to keep old and capture new customers. The M1 was a good board when you are comparing it to the Boosted V1 which is what it was after at the time. Their stuff deck was stable at their highest speed of 22mph if you don’t weight as much as me. The remote turns in the board was a first at the time. They were also one of the first and few with hub motors and they used Blood Orange urethane which was actually really good. But they never improved upon that formula and just kept selling the same thing for three years! People who liked the board likes the 99wh travel battery, but there’s no reason why they can’t make a larger cavity for a larger battery if/when needed.

I think the investor saw the money making potential from scooter rental and push them to do that but a little too late since laws has started getting more strict on that rent and drop off anywhere strategy.

2 Likes

I guess accepting a deal from Kevin and Laurie on Shark Tank didn’t help their company

1 Like

I think they just didn’t advertise enough and realized it might be easier to go into the scooter market and get B2B customers but maybe failed in doing so. Could also be because they got money they weren’t able to do what they wanted to get more traction… maybe.

The boards were I think $999 and then they were selling them for like $599.

2 Likes

Makes me wonder why no one seems to do a diy lithium battery swap on here. Or at least a cosmetically pleasing one like inboard

2 Likes

Sure thing, and can be done faster. I call 5 seconds in, 5 seconds out. Will give you a taste by January I guess, first the magnetic drive, Santa and my skates. Lookout for @Zach modules too. Lot of potential there, very wow, much scalable.

2 Likes

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

They gained fame as the perceived boosted alternative, raised 8m investment, made a few hundred boards and realised the money was in fleet scooters, convinced investors that it was the way to pivot, stopped stocking thier core esk8 product (literally NEVER in stock), blew 6m on r&d and tittybars, went back to investors for promised round two seed, investors asked what they had to show:

No assets, superceded product development, complete abandonment of core line/retail customers and stupid overheads for a company selling no products.

= laughter and chopping block.

8 Likes

So many titties though…

4 Likes

Once you’ve seen all the shapes and sizes… you just want to see them all over again right? Fuckin boobies, so amazing.

6 Likes

Dear @Underoath888 could you share a link to that article ?

1 Like

It’s found here

Supporting docs here
http://www.proofofclaims.com/Inboard/documents/

1 Like

@Reelop19
Makes me wonder why no one seems to do a diy lithium battery swap on here. Or at least a cosmetically pleasing one like inboard

There…:point_up_2:!! :bulb:

Imagine the old raptor1 or evolve carbon deck having an easy large battery swap.

They launched a niche premium product into a rapidly evolving marketplace with a feature heavy yet under preforming board with high R&D costs then pivoted to a completely new product abandoning what little customer base they initially had and sinking all their revenue into establishing production for yet another over engineered product set to launch into an already saturated market.

2 Likes

Shark tanks? Shifting to scooter business? No innovation in 3 years? Ridiculous small battery? US based factory? No wonder!! … Inplosion in 10, 9, 8, 7… (tic…tac…tic):hourglass_flowing_sand:

Case study for business model failures. Even huge mega corps like Coca Cola made the same mistakes that almost sent them bankrupt. Remember the ‘New Coke’. Trying to chase mirages when there was no need for it. What a shot on the foot!

2 Likes

Totally agree on that.

i’ve met three people with inboards…all of them fukin hated it, and thought the battery packs were absolute ripoff.

make a shit product, you go to fail jail.

2 Likes

But AMD has almost done that…

Yeah mate… with 38 billion dollars, 12k employees and 45 years in the industry.

… and they are still behind the curve 98% of the time. Step child company

Never underestimate the audacity of claims that can be made by any company.

I’ll drop it here. I’m the #1 AMD FanBoi here.

2 Likes