What trucks to use when mounts don't matter

@eb1925 Calling crazy downhill guy

Precision trucks sure look tasty, is there really that much difference in ride between cast and precision?
like $200-300 difference?

I’m wondering if I’d notice the difference,
*I splash out on an $8 bottle of wine and think it can’t get any better than this…

4 Likes

Also wondering if the difference is really worth the huge cost difference but I’m sure it’s a case of “if you can afford it, it’s worth it” ya know

If you’re not downhill racing where stability and weight counts alot, it’s probably not worth it.

Cruising at 30, any cast truck should be fine. Just depends on your preferences.

Is a rolex’s function worth 10x the amount of a regular watch?

2 Likes

thanks,

that’s what I’d imagine, no crazy speeds happening on my rides!
do people still wear watches?

2 Likes

I wear one :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

OMG

That Sabre site is amazing and a wealth of info… thanks for the link brah!

3 Likes

I can never tell with you haha. Sarcasm or not?

1 Like

faaak no… not kidding… check out the site… look at all the set-up info… everything from truck angle, rake…fast carvy… divey…bushings, washers and trucks… and the why and where… it’s awesome…

GAWD damned I spent an hour just looking at what info they have… the trucks are sweet… but the set-up info is a wealth of info… checkitout!!!

5 Likes

Can’t go wrong with sabre and area

2 Likes

I think there are 2 kinds of precision: DH precision and esk8 precision.
Where dh precision focuses on the stability, bushing seat, ride.
While esk8 precision focuses on width, axle size, hanger/mount alignment, degree adjustability.

3 Likes

Been considering these purty looking Bear Kodiak in 140mm for the Neohubs,
aiming to keep the total width inc hubs around 9"

but will probably take a hacksaw to the 180mm Arsenal trucks i already have, save myself $160!

I’ve been looking at these for months now, I thought I could resist the urge but I think I have to own a set for my @jeffwuneo hubs

they looks so nice

5 Likes

Let us know how it rides! Currently I’m looking at Caliber IIs that I already have, cast ronins, Hex surfrodz TKP, or Paris V3

2 Likes

Surfrodz won’t work with Jeff’s hubs, correct?

I think anything with a shoulder bolt won’t work

1 Like

The one i’m talking about is a fixed 8mm axle, i think.
Yep, it is.

Oh, it’s 10mm… never mind.
Wait, description says 8mm.

Lol sorry for the confusion

I would go for rogues or ronins. those are two common options among the downhill folks and I like the idea of geting rid of slop through a queen pin or an insert bushing. and if you don’t want to throw out money on some precision they have som solid cast options with similar base geometry as the precision counterparts.

Jesus, 600 euros for a set.

I think ideal Eskate trucks without having to take mounting into consideration would have to be…

Asymmetric with different trucks front-rear.

Also I think so much depends on the intended riding.
DH trucks aren’t just for going fast. In fact whats probably most important for DH racing is drifting. Which is of course how DH riders control their speed to hit their lines.

How much drifting are you intending to do on your Eskate? I think most people will probably just use their motors to control their speed rather than drifting and sliding.

So, definitely don’t just jump towards DH trucks just because DH riders are going fast.

The trucks I would explore first as a front truck would be Rojas, Ronin, Voxter, Aeon, to name a few.
While still in consideration, I would definitely take ride harshness into account for anything precision.
Rojas might be a bit of a rough ride for hub motors, Ronin as well. Voxters are similar to Ronin, but have a softer ride. and Aeon has a nice huge bushing to eat some of that vibration up.

The main consideration you want for your front truck is going to be steering feel and behavior. If you like a lot of rake and active playfulness, you’ll want your front truck to provide that.

I’ve not ridden them, but honestly Avenue trucks or something similar to them I don’t think are out of the question. Those are definitely something you won’t see in DH.

For the rear truck things open up a bit more. The main consideration you’ll want for the rear is IMO comfort and stability. Rear doesn’t contribute so much for the feel as the front, but it does contribute a lot to keeping the board under control.

4 Likes