What’s the best cutoff voltage for a Lipo battery

That’s actually correct if you don’t read the thread title, and if you like buying new batteries.

thread title is “best cutoff voltage”, best is subjective.
the numbers post toast mentioned are perfectly fine if you don’t care about cycle life, AND even then the degradation is not that bad.

1 Like

false.

The thread title is “What’s the best cutoff voltage for a Lipo battery”

So if you continued reading, you’d find out you’re talking about a different type of battery than OP is. Lipo pouches and not cylindrical liion cells.

You can do whatever you want, but I don’t want other readers to destroy their stuff accidentally.

Any particular reasons to use this kind of offensive terminology or you just enjoy being a jerk?

2 Likes

ok Habibi 🫱🏿‍🫲🏻

1 Like

But…but Li-Po’s are Li-Ion.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that the fragility (electrically) of these hobby pouch cells is due to their low quality, both materials and construction. You don’t see this short of a cycle life with LCO chemistry (Li-Po) cells from the big manufacturers.

Sure, there are failures with any pouch cells. But that can be as much from physical abuse, BMS failure, pushing the ratings too hard, etc., as from crappy quality cells.

2 Likes

@Battery_Mooch do you think it might harm these specific cells to take them down to 2.6V at a tiny current (ESC idling) just to test a BMS cutoff, and then promptly (within 12 hours) charge them over 3.4V?

i may or may not need a few names…just to be sure my house won’t burn down if i abuse it a lil too much :slightly_smiling_face:

i have turnigy graphene panther at home rn

Samsung, Murata, Molicel, LG, Sanyo, Panasonic. I don’t know which makes pouch Li-Po cells except for Samsung.

There are also some huge China companies too, supplying millions and millions of cells a year, but I’m not familiar with their reputations or products.

Turnigy is a pack assembler. I don’t know who they buy their cells from. There’s nothing in general that says a cell from a small company is any worse than one from a large company. It depends completely on the company and how they make their cells. We can’t judge the risk for any cells we have so we can only be nice to them if we are worried.

1 Like

I don’t know anything about the cells they use, no way to predict anything.

“Harm” is a very flexible word. Any discharge damages a cell and shortens its life. How much more going down to 2.6V will affect those cells I do not know. My completely uneducated wild guess is that it should have little to no noticeable negative effect on the cells. That opinion is useless though.

Why not use a series string of resistors (and a power supply), capacitors, or round cells to test the BMS cutoffs?

2 Likes

Just a side note…ALWAYS assume that any li-ion cell or pack can catch fire at any time and plan for that.

If not being abused then it can be only a one-in-a-billion type of thing but the consequences can be huge if it happens. If the cell or pack is being abused then the odds of something bad happening can go wayyyy up.

1 Like

i, at one point, definitely did not have 3 dead battery packs next to my bed for a period of half year

1 Like

Dead cells might actually be the safest ones we can have. Once discharged there’s no more energy left in them to cause trouble. Yea, their internals are toxic but I don’t think anything bad is happening inside of them that can get worse and worse and be a safety issue as long as the cells are never charged or used again.

For anyone else reading…
Do not make any safety-related decisions based on this! It’s only my uneducated personal opinion. Do the research and make your decisions based on that.

not 0v deal cells, 1x unknown state pack, 1x 50.4v full charged dead bms pack, and one 30ish volt 10s pack :joy:

welp, i still have the 50.4v pack, guess i need to find time to throw it out

1 Like

You sound very risk averse

Nah, it’s called being lazy then someone just pressed the fast forward button :rofl:

At least I don’t sleep with them anymore

1 Like

Every time there is a battery fire, all the information of that failure is up in smoke. I’ve always been curious if a cell that caused fire wasn’t overcharged and or physically damaged

1 Like