What is your ideal BMS?

What type of event is an overcharged cell? And what exactly does it cause? Is exploding the only risk?

What happens if it doesn’t explode? What happens if it doesn’t explode, and you suddenly demand a lot of power form an overcharged cell?

1 Like

No event per se. May explode if pushed beyond certain voltage, but modern li-ions have safety features built in to minimize external damage. Definitely reduces the charge-discharge cycle and increases internal resistance. The opposite is true too, if you undercharge to say 4.05 volts then it significantly increases the number of charge-discharge cycles as well. But through all their tests they have found out that 4.2 volts is the sweet spot in terms of capacity and battery life.

Isn’t the explosion cause by overcharging a result of an internal short circuit? The result of dendritic formations?

Yes… So?

Okay, nm.

It’s not pertinent.

1 Like

This conversation is clutter lol just get over it :joy:

You’re making it seem like liion cells are as volatile as lipo and that just isn’t true at all. There’s a reason tesla is the best electric car manufacturer and still uses the round liion (basically liion) cell format

4 Likes

I said I don’t run a BMS.

If that doesn’t show confidence in a cell, I don’t know what does. I bet you run one.

Someone please explain to me how an overcharged battery can’t cause thermal runaway. Then explain how that thermal runaway, can’t trigger the cell level fusing in while discharging.

You should really learn some tact.

Sound like a caveman.

@BillGordon, can we please split the thread from this point on into a thread about “ideal bms”. It adds nothing to the FlexiBMS discussion.

I am pretty sure we have had tons of discussion on this already, but if people want to discuss, they can do it in a dedicated thread.

7 Likes

BTW, really appreciate you giving me the parameters. Saves a good bit of time.

5 Likes

I’m enjoying this break out thread and it’s thought process.

hoping it doesn’t break down into people calling each other stupid.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Many people think the Polestar 2 is the best electric vehicle.

I don’t care to argue with you about pointless topics in unrelated threads.

1 Like

You’ll know it did when the parties involved get pulled into an Octagon PM.

3 Likes

This what I want to know. I also want to know why we are so obsessed with building these incredibly complicated BMS’s? Why is active management so important as to require it? Doesn’t active management become more and more moot, the larger the battery is?

Fair enough.

…one of these fellows seems to be particularly argumentative…