What is the purpose of hooking the charge port neg to the BMS instead of right to battery?

You guys laugh it up, I spent MOST of my life withoutttttttttttttt internet. Most of you had baby teeth when you started going to forums.

2 Likes

Assumptions aren’t a good way to start.

1 Like

tenor

2 Likes

That’s your excuse to not put in the effort and rather be spoon fed?

4 Likes

if you were to skip charging through a bms and just use a fuse that’ll protect against high current but won’t protect from over-voltage.
Don’t let the uptight here discourage you.

2 Likes

If I want a switch to turn a light on and off —

What is the purpose of connecting the wire to the switch? Why not just connect the battery directly to the light?

Exactly, it does me no good to simply know the wiring, if I dont understand why. that is not learning, it is rote memorization.

I am not getting, nor can anyone explain, how and where the line of NOOB is. I use AI to search the subjects, and if they come up with NO hits, I figure, rightfully so, that it is NOT a noob question. And then so called old hands, simply rattle off the rote memorization, without answering my question, and declare me wanting to be spoonfed.

What seems abundantly clear is, anything having to do with skateboards, is a hostile tribal sect. I even explain why I am not a whiz at all things forum, and they again call it spoonfed. I dont get it.

Then another powster seems to suggest, that I use one thread, and pack every question in there till doomsday. Again, I dont understand.

just because no one’s asked it before doesn’t automatically make it a non-noob question

3 Likes

Then what does?

Dude you’re on a forum where people with STEM degrees, families, and 6 figure incomes freely give their time & hard-earned knowledge to answer even the stupidest of questions (provided they’re in the right place). Over time a lot of these people end up leaving because they’re treated shittily for no reason. This is not the way to be

Anyways, the part where your question becomes a noob question is probably where it’s not even slightly pertinent to esk8, as BMS’s & battery packs where this is commonplace have been around for decades & all of the answers in the world are already easily found in so many different places of the net (and physical manuals and legitimately probably even in encyclopedias)

Perhaps you’ve not been on the internet for long, but like. How does that conflate to asking people questions with common decency of following established order.

You seriously think you’re the first person to ask for a fully detailed explanation about convention of BMS circuitry & battery logic/safety? People living in mud huts with a single laptop for the village ran off of trash-heap windmill generated electricity are able to find answers like this on their dialup internet fart-powered modems.

2 Likes

Yeah? And I am a class a plastic injection moldmaker, and a process engineer. Un fortunately, I am also 63 years old, which makes some things too different to simply deal.

Those with engineering degrees are polite and knowledgable. It seems that there are kids, with skateboard angst. I would NEVER disrespect a TRUE knowledgable and courteous fellow. And have talked to quite a few.

It seems that putting up a shingle, or becoming a youtube guy, makes folks understand to shelve the attitude.

Alright. I will throw you a bone and say that near-any in-depth description of electronics function in PEV hobbies can likely be found multiple times over on Endless-Sphere, if you’ve yet to find that forum. Quality replies will probably take a few days-weeks on here as the smarts are off for holidays

Our resident old-geezer handler is fellow sundowner @BillGordon , take your dusty farts up with him.

I have a B.S.M.E. & I promise you there are near zero angsty skateboard kids on here. Those kids buy boosteds or w/e & aren’t trolling technical builders forums. Too busy out smashin puss or w/e

If you ask a very serious mechanical or electrical engineering (even electro-mechanical/mechatronics) question I or many others of those also with the same degrees will typically leave an in-depth answer. What you’ve asked typically isn’t requiring of such though, and once again… I digress in re-iterating ze n00b question thread

Did u get the answer? I thought u did. When ur charging through the bms it makes sure of some things (typically):

You won’t overcharge the voltage
You won’t put too much current in

If u put just a fuse on the charge port between it and the battery that only protects against overcurrent and shorting.

1 Like

Yes, but not by those that said they know. There is a difference in knowing, and rattling off what someone told you. I am trying to UNDERSTAND. That takes more than just knowing an answer.

Unfortunately I dont have a degree in electronics. Wish I did.

Do u know now, or what is unknown or not understood?

Yes, but what I dont know, and noone will explain, is where is the line of noob question, and how am I supposed to know?

i already answered that question here

But typically, we don’t even take the definition of “noob” that seriously - it’s just fairly typical amongst technical forums for any miscellaneous knowledge questions that forum regulars probably know, or know-somebody-who-knows(&will subsequently tag/ping them), to be posted within a “noob questions” thread. If it’s a question that really doesn’t belong, somebody smart (or the nature of the response itself) will break out the question/answer into its own thread.
How to know your noob question isn’t a noob question? Somebody quotes and cross-posts your question into it’s very own hyper-specific thread.
Anyways we’re perhaps being slightly hard on you, I don’t particularly even know at this point, just try to enjoy Christmas night.

As much as it might suck to have questions corralled into the noob question thread, strings of errant topics posted by new members are sometimes. enshittification. If it’s not enshittification, you’ll quickly be venerated.

If this place actually had functioning mods the all-seeing-and-judging-shit-hammer would still be automatically feeding noob questions into the thread without asking :slight_smile:

One could perhaps say that we’re all noobs, and for that is why we have our thread, which we post most of our errant questions in.

1 Like

I am absolutely not trying to be a pain. Many of those things you talk about, pushing it to a more technical area, or breaking out a question, or many other things, are what you picked up by BEING RAISED ON INTERNET.

I had to suckle my modems tits all night long to get our 56k dialup to buffer one singular YouTube video for us to watch the morning after a friends birthday

1 Like

Does it actually matter?
Just assume it is and roll on from there. It’s what I do but perhaps that’s because I’m an esk8 noob.

3 Likes