What do you want out of a Gear Drive?!?

People eat shit all the time for various reasons. If we went off that there would be no esk8

2 Likes

This is true; its a rite of passage :joy:

Whatā€¦ so you canā€™t give me a dual gear drive for $100ā€¦ ughhā€¦ :sob:

4 Likes

I have the most freaking incompatible esk8 truck out thereā€¦ trampa MINI infinity street Carver

Haha, no, but I can bring it down to $25! It will just be made out of super glue, string, and balsa :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I miss gear ratios over 4:1.

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy to include that; unfortunately I canā€™t change the poll now. The AT version of my gear drive would likely have the option between 3.5:1 -> 4.5:1 ish. It really depends on whether people are cool with 3D printed wheel gears. If they arenā€™t it will be limited to spur gear availability, which is tough considering we want to lower the price.

1 Like

@Genex What trucks do you plan on adjusting to?
Doubt Iā€™ll be in that list

Truckā€™s arenā€™t generally the hard part. Itā€™s the fact that you need an idler gear to get the motor far enough away from the trucks to fit. The clamping plate is easily adjustable and modular to fit trucks with hangers that can fit through a ~24mm (1in) hole.

edit that being said, those trucks look very weirdā€¦ it would be tough to make a mount for those.

Told ya soā€¦ theyā€™re the mini infinity street Carver from trampa

What about a plate with multiple holes?

@moon Taulman Bridge rings a bell right? :joy:

@Genex I guess youā€™re more talented than me in using this filament ; On a side note Iā€™m wondering if it would not be possible to 3d print a pulley and add a layer of Kevlar on the teeth?

Work would be humongous tho. But thatā€™d solve the cost / strength issue too.

1 Like

Thereā€™s an option missing.

Belts. I want belts out of a gear drive :grimacing:

2 Likes

You want bent gears

1 Like

Fixed that for ya

7 Likes

Death Gears

3 Likes

Iā€™ve spent ~1800 on filament over the last 2 years, I print more than any human being should.

That being said, itā€™s more about dialing in your printer than it is using the filament correctly. Things like storing it in a seal container, using BuildTak, printing slow and some other things help make printing with it much more enjoyable. I hate using the stuff, because it has the annoying tendencies that ABS does when printing but its very strong.

If I move forward with this I may even experiment with carbon or metal filament. I also might have access to HPā€™s Fusion Jet Nylon printers, which produce stronger than injected molded parts. It all comes down to price. A cheap direct drive just might not be an option without someone dumping cash into having gears made in China. I havenā€™t done much looking into gear availability, I am just interested in the idea as an engineer and if its feasible Iā€™d love to make one. An ideal gear drive would use double herringbone or helical gears, but to have custom versions of those made would be dumb expensive. As Iā€™ve said its a balance; we might never get the sound out of these things either if the price has to stay low.

1 Like

I have a gear drive. I want better ground clearance.

What kind of board do you ride? What is the gear ratio?

The kevlar is an interesting idea but the surface of the gear has to be pretty much flawless or else you get extra noise and heat. Printing is already pushing that boundary, but softer plastics dampen noise significantly.

1 Like