What do we consider stable? (VESC firmware, Community Fork Discussion, (SERIOUS)

You can’t distribute apps that contain GPL licensed code through the Apple Appstore because Apple imposes restrictions that are not permitted by the GPL license.

7 Likes

We don’t want to get rid of free and open source licenses just to appease some asshat company that doesn’t care about you. They don’t like those licenses because it takes away their power to use you as an asset, as a piece of meat, enhancing their ability to suck on your wallet.

GPL licenses give every individual and company permission to modify and distribute the software licensed by it – this goes against all Apple’s philosophies to the very core. Permission to modify and distribute software in their universe only exists for folks who pay them money and who make stuff that doesn’t compete with anything they’ve chosen to make, anything they dislike for any reason, or anything they have plans to make, or anything that has the potential to reduce the amount of money they can make from you and your friends.

TL;DR: if you like open source and free (as-in freedom) software, you neither like apple, nor support them.

8 Likes

Man, that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, but you should stop try to impose your opinion on other people, I disagree, there is an issue with one license, apple has open sources a bunch of cool stuff on the last few years, but i’m not gonna try to change your mind, you can do whatever you want, I not the one that will tell you what you can or can not so with your money, and you should not do the same with others.
And you have no right to tell, based on only that opinion, that someone does not care for open source or whatever, you don’t know me.
Also, be cool, accept people as they are as they are! We are all here trying to have fun, enjoy our esk8!

5 Likes

Brian would never do such a thing.

10 Likes

Dude… you may be the one who will succeed. :joy:

4 Likes

I wrote a longer post, but i figure i can summarize it.

Why don’t you email him, instead of starting a public shit talking thread? He is the one doing all the work, who did all the past work, and will most likely do all the future work. Rallying a community against the one guy that does all the work isn’t going to end well.

I’m ranked #4 in terms of lines added to the firmware and I’ve only written 2,217 lines.

I do agree and think bleeding edge and stable channels would be nice. But it adds a ton of overhead and management which will have to be done by BV in addition to all the work he is already doing. This kind of process and bureaucracy is especially bullshit when its just one person working on a project. There is also a lot of code that would have to be written to implement these practices in an ideal way.

2 Likes

:thinking:

Why does the ultimate filter need to be him? Why not the filter be the community members willing to test dev branches?

Many hands lightens the load. When the load is lightened, there is more time for tinkering :wink:

8 Likes

No one is rallying the community against anyone, and especially not against Vedder, who deserves the respect and accolades he gets. There have historically been issues that could be avoided with a different approach. I encourage you to read the first post again.

8 Likes

I don’t see that. These things are meant to make your life easier and not to add extra overhead. From personal experience all the standard practices suggested here help save you time in the medium and long run.

6 Likes

Just a question for those of us not experienced in git . . .

Is restructuring to include a Dev branch and moving to a beta then stable releases type system something that needs to be done by vedder as the repo owner? Or can someone clone then do this restructure and submit a pull request which vedder only needs to merge?

5 Likes

You can only do pull requests for code, not for the branch structure of a repository.

So no, we need a new repository, managed by someone else for this to happen.

6 Likes

It’s not like that would be a lot of work that one needs to lift off Vedder’s shoulders, it’s two short commands.

4 Likes

So what is the last working fw version? Does Ackmaniac work flawlessly on the new Trampa VESC6? I ride in traffic like a maniac, faulty fw might be a R.I.P for me.

8 Likes

If you have vesc 6 MKIII you will need a New version from the main branch to use the always on sleep features.

2 Likes

I’ve reached out a few times and not heard back. He got an invite to the OS org on GitHub too.

He’s a busy guy, I have no expectations. Please do not think that ANYONE is trying to put this on Ben, I appreciate that someone is willing to continue to implement new features on a project they’ve worked so long and hard on. But that is by very definition, an experimental development branch and needs some safe-guards and process around it so that people do not get hurt.

Frank tends to speak for BV on these forums to an extent I’m sure most of us tire from. I’m tired of these conversations going nowhere so we’re taking action. Please don’t believe this hasn’t come as a result of multiple conversations over the last 2 years. We’ve not made progress in areas that need it.

I do not personally feel that Frank is a well suited VESC project manager and mouthpiece, though that is the role he seems to attempt to play.

12 Likes

In other words for the new MKIII I need to use the faulty fw version? :smiley: Or can I use any version and just not have the sleep function etc…?

1 Like

Yep  

2 Likes

Its not just branching.

Stable versions need to be maintained with hotfixes and code needs to be back/forward ported, otherwise you wont be able to have a both truly stable build and fast inclusion of new features.

The whole distribution model needs to be changed. If all you want is to go back to an old build you can just tag release version on master, or maintain a list of commit hashes. That wont solve the problem. These releases need to be built and distributed, and the build involves both projects and syncing them correctly. Circumventing BVs release model would also circumvent his attempts to monetize it which is a big :-1: from me.

3 Likes

He released it open source, GPL GNU v3, for a reason.

There is zero negative to us using the open source project as it was intended.

Healthy projects have many forks & interactions between. Frank so far has been the only one to appear threatened by this, I’m assuming due to a lack of understanding in modern software development processes

If he’s attempting to monetize the code base then he needs to be implementing basic industry standard practices to reduce risk and improve safety. All the more reason.

His entire release model does need change. Im more than willing to help fix that.

So far the response from Frank pretty much has been: BV is doing it this way and that is the final word.

12 Likes

Ack 3.103 is the most stable I know of at this moment in time

7 Likes