VX1 / Unity problem

Hi. Been using a VX1 with Unity via PPM for some time with no problems. Now, out of the the blue, the remote won’t sync to the receiver unless I disconnect the battery level monitor wire from the VX1 receiver. Works fine with it disconnected, but I’d really like to get my battery level display back. Any ideas anyone?

Seems you got flipskied

3 Likes

is the battery level wire connected to the positive side of the “fuel guage” port on the unity or is it tied to the battery mains positive or something else?

1 Like

solder the wire to this pin would still work?

I’ve had a similar problem that when i’m not applying throttle or brake, the remote disconnects and I have to turn the remote on and off again. has happened to me a few times while riding and I’m lucky it hasn’t been at a bad time yet…

1 Like

It’s connected to the positive output of the battery.

1 Like

Thanks. Might be worth a try. Strange thing is that if I disconnect the power wire I can then sync the remote, then reconnect the power wire and it all works fine (including displaying power). But next ride (after the Unity has been switched off) the remote won’t sync, and won’t even perform a re-sync until I have disconnected the power wire again.

1 Like

i never experienced this behaviour with my 3 vx1, not sure what could have caused it. did u try to force the remote into pairing mode after the unity is switch back on?

2 Likes

Yep. Multiple times, but will not connect until that power wire is dis.

damn, honestly not sure what’s going on. maybe try that pin first? and see how it goes

1 Like

Thanks. Will do.

I’ve been using VX1s all year with no issues. This is the weirdest shit I’ve ever heard. Something is probably wrong with the receiver. Maybe if you contact FS they’ll replace the receiver?

1 Like

Yes, had no problems with VX1 until now. Might be worth an email. Thanks.

1 Like

Just to chime in here too, I have a vx1 as well and the receiver is really stuffed into the enclosure with a dual split PPM coming off it and it still hasn’t had issues after 8 months

Maybe FS can help you

:+1: Fitted new receiver… problem gone.

2 Likes

Did you ever figure out your disconnect due to very short inactivity. I just got a unity and vx1 and the remote disconnects after mere seconds of inactivity

:v:ANYONE HAVING DISCONNECTIONS WITH VX1 LISTEN UP!:v:

I have deducted that it has something to do with the extreme cold where I am. If I can use my hand to keep the remote warm, the problem does not occur or I can slow the rate at which the problem occurs.

To prevent you from having no brakes at bad times here is what I have done:

1. Keep the remote as warm as possible. Use your left (or off) hand to warm the top of the remote. Putting the remote inside of a mitten could completely solve this problem if you have one that is big enough

2. Keep the throttle/brake on at all times. Just give it a sliver of throttle when maintaining speed. When you need to brake, transition as quickly as possible without throwing yourself off the board. One thing I did to help ease into the brakes was change the throttle/braking curve in VESC settings.

3. Brake WAY before you need to and don’t go too fast. Try switching from the throttle to the brake as early as possible so if your remote does disconnect, you have enough time to footbrake. If you don’t know how to footbrake: you’re lucky to be alive and simply put a little pressure on the ground VERY gradually until you start to stop. You may have to pick up your foot and try multiple times. If you’re worried about ruining your shoes focus on the fact that you could ruin your head. worst comes to worst: bail into the grass if that’s an option or slow enough to run off your board.

I have not had this problem where the temperature is >40ish Fahrenheit. If you are getting them without the cold I would recommend trying to get a replacement/think about alternative remotes.

@BrendanB02
Idk if this is a common unity problem, where it disconnects randomly, however, if it is I wish you luck cause I doubt you’ll be getting a replacement easily!

1 Like