Volokno anti-spark switches???

Anyone know anything about these switches? They look well built.

edit: okay, I’ve figured it out. it is indeed a good switch. Lee has been using one for some time. They are built by forum user @eLDoska

With that many mosfets the chance of it dying is decreased, but still. Price is higher than Flipsky’s antispark, and it’s larger too. I don’t trust the old design used by most.

1 Like

first I’ve heard of them but they do look pretty serious. $60 isn’t bad for something that serious either.

Is that what that is, the old design?

Certainly looks like it.

2 Likes

Would you like to explain what the “old design” is here? It might help others who get a chance to look at them before they buy.

3 Likes

I found out that forum user @eLDoska builds them, and they are considered reliable. @Lee_Wright has apparently used them before, and says they’re good.

I’m going to give one a try. However, I know nothing about the shortcomings of the “old design”, so perhaps someone can convince me not to?

It looks like Vedder’s original design

Or if not, perhaps a design based off of it. In any case, if it does not dissipate the inrush current with a resistor anyhow, the mosfets will slowly become damaged over time and die. (Or maybe they’re good mosfets that won’t :woman_shrugging: ) Someone who’s an actual electrical engineer can probably explain it far better than me.

4 Likes

yes, these switches are based on Vedder-Fechter design with some tweaks.
some calls it “popcorn design” but i sold over 200 of them and it seems they are quite reliable :slight_smile:
also i offer free repair work, so if it breaks and the shipping from you to Russia dont cost to much - you can send it to me

like this switch from my very first batch (2017). i received it in 2019 for repair. it was without heat shrink tube, full of dust, sand and other strange substance, and obvious screemed - “leeve me die in peace”. but it was repaired, wrapped in a new heat shrink tube and still works fine :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They look really easy to repair. Does the modification you made include something that prevents inrush current from damaging the fets?

Regardless, I’m going to order one anyhow. I can just keep some new fets on hand and fix it easily if it ever breaks. I think you probably make the best anti-spark switches on the market right now. If someone has other ideas, I’d like to know about them.

The Flipsky switches are pitiful. The pictures make them appear larger than they are, and when you get one in person, you will probably be inspired to just put it in a drawer, and forget about it. They are suitable for street boards, not mountainboards, though.

2 Likes

I have to say the one I bought never failed me. Its still on that board now, but that board is now never ridden. In its day though it did many miles.

2 Likes

the basic schematics was untouched, i changed resisters and diodes to more powerful, changed mosfets (60V => 75V) and added 12V for the butthon

2 Likes

Okay, thanks, ordered one.

2 Likes