VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

It’s funny how we’re perfectly happy and satisfied with something until a new thing comes out then all of a sudden it’s not good enough :joy:

9 Likes

Progress.

1 Like

:point_up_2: key words

1 Like

The phone I once dreamed of owning is now relegated to being a backup alarm clock.

6 Likes

I used to ride BLDC exclusively as well until recently that I change to a motor which has sensors :+1:

TBH I don’t feel a look of difference between BLDC and FOC on a day to day mid speed commute except the need to kick push a little on the BLDC and the sound of BLDC :slight_smile:

But I’m happy with FOC for now :smirk:

1 Like

great example.

I wanted a budget mtb.
turns out i can’t just have something mediocre so from a budget of 1500 i some how went to 2500 and bought two additional boards and now i feel somewhat content

@b264 I am glad you really like it, can’t wait to try it out tbh. Thanks

1 Like

Yeah but lots of other things I don’t like. HFI is literally the only thing that could have even made me try a new Vedder version. And I’m still nervous about bugs throwing me off in traffic.

3 Likes

I understand that.

But the drunk pedestrian stumbling all over the sidewalk babbling some shit to his wingman doesn’t hear FOC coming, and walks right into your path.

He hears BLDC coming.

He doesn’t want a lesson on which is superior in principle. He just either hears you coming, or doesn’t.

Like the MC guys say, loud pipes save lives. Except electric. The biggest problem with electric drive.

2 Likes

@b264 does lowering the switching frequency of FOC cause enough whining in the motor to achieve what you want as well? Say lowering to 10kHz or 15kHz

3 Likes

I have a better solution
@b264

14 Likes

FOC with straight cut geardrives does the pedestrian awareness noise for me xD
(I know you don’t like gears hehe)

7 Likes

i suspect he’d buy gear drives if he could buy spare gears from mcmaster-carr or technobots, as easily & inexpensively as he buys spare belts today

It’s not gears I don’t like.

It’s fucking plastic gears.

'Soon as someone starts making them from steel, I will listen.

4 Likes

I have a feeling steel gears would have too much noise and an annoying high pitched whine to them…

1 Like

:smirk:

2 Likes

This might be what he’s aiming for.

2 Likes

You could be like the annoying priuses and put speakers on your board to make car engine noises as you ride :joy:

4 Likes

reminded me of this :rofl:

9 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

My opinion is bldc noise isn’t really equivalent to a loud motorcycle anyway. Making cars around you hear you coming while in traffic is not really the same as zooming past pedestrians. I have worse luck making them aware of me, by the time they hear your motor, turn around, see you coming then freak out and end up getting in your way. I prefer the silent flyby, aim to get past them before they even know you’re there.

3 Likes

Better than broken shit you can’t ride on anyway :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes