VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

Yep. 5char

3 Likes

Next time perhaps do this kind of testing, and more, before one pushes live code to a codebase that can literally injure people.

These are dangerous and negligent coding practices. Sorry if that’s a jagged pill to swallow but it’s the truth.

Frank, may I please direct you to this thread, again, as it couldn’t be more relevant if I tried:

Open to having the conversation if you’d like to have it, but at this point we’re moving forward with a community tested ‘stable’ fork.

12 Likes

Ack seems like the easy answer to everything, except it apparently doesn’t work well on hw6

All you would need is a stable FW since VESC tool basically adopts to the FW it finds on the ESC. So once you have created that FW, VESC-Tool needs a coordinating file and will then set itself up to match the FW. If you would like to work on that FW and coordinating Vesc-Tool settings, you should contact Benjamin to integrate them.

If you load FW3.61 for example, the motor detection is done the 3.61 style, the menus are 3.61 style, basically you go back in time, except that new features like eg better data analysis, logging,ConfigBackup etc. are available with the latest tool.

Sorry- Did you reply to the correct person?

I appreciate the input but I don’t need any assistance in understanding how the software/firmware works or how to develop on it. I think you’re aware of my background.

I am more than happy to sync with BV on these efforts but I have zero expectation of it as he’s a busy guy.

The very purpose of a community fork is to add value and feedback to a codebase, so my hope is that it can provide beneficial input & potentially code PRs. I hope it helps.

14 Likes

Did detections again with T=1000uS and… the wobbles are gone :metal: :sunglasses:
I can’t believe it, 52km/h (32.3mph) without wobbles.

The duty cycle value still jumps but maybe less

But sometimes it feels a bit strange when almost reaching top speed. It affects both motors at the same time so it is not really dangerous.

After looking at at the logs I can see what the “strange feeling” was. Sometimes motor and battery current drops exactly at the speed where the wobbles started before but I can keep accelerating. The current drops about 1.5 seconds before I stop accelerating at about 50km/h.

or another example

No idea what’s happening here but no more wobbles :man_shrugging:

12 Likes

I just had a strange issue with uncensored foc.
I have a 750w onewheel hub motor that im running off of fsec 6.6… with the vesctool1.1 uncensored foc runs the motor great. I updated and tried vesctool2.0 and the motor will not run. It just cogs… attempted hfi, same issue. Downgraded back to old firmware and motor runs great again. Also motor detection provided very different results

3 Likes

If you use the new VESC Tool you should be able to use FW 3.55 onwards. The detection results depend on the FW on the VESC. After the detection you can save the configuration (confgBackuo), update to the latest FW and then reload the old configuration.
If you have a well tuned system, it is advisable to backup the configuration prior to the FW update. It allows you simply load the old parameters with a single click. It’s also fast and convenient.

The cogging is probably due to the resistance value being off. I’ll try to figure out why it’s measured differently in between the FW versions.
Which picture is the 1.1x Vesc Tool?

3 Likes

1.1 is the bottom pic. Im afraid of saving settings and applying them on different firmware versions since the motor values are so different.

which firmware should we use for the most accurate detection results? by accurate, I mean the values that when applied to the motor config will result in the most optimal operation. i am happy to run one firmware to do motor detection, save the config, upgrade to the latest firmware, and then apply the config that was previously saved. these additional steps would be worth it to me to enjoy the latest version firmware and its features.

1 Like

3.61 or 3.65 should give you the same results as the working setup. Once the results have proven a flawless operation, you can use the Motor config over and over.

You use this word… but do you understand this word

9 Likes

I did the detection with the T = 1000uS, but at 39 km/hr I have wobbles…always the same…a bit frustrating…Used the Vesc-tool for android mobil, FW 4.01 (when the FW 4.02 with the changelog will be available please?)…Two Vesc6+, PPM, 6380 TB motors, canbus.

5 Likes

@Trampa

I get this error when attempting to flash new FW (tried 4.x and 3.65 as they were what I had on hand). The firmware upload process looks normal and says that it completes successfully, but then gives me this error when the VESC reboots. I also tried flashing the bootloader, and it did not fix the problem. I had several successful firmware flashes before I started getting this problem, and now that it is appearing, I am also have CANBUS issues.

I am using brand new VESC 6 MK3. Any ideas what i’m doing wrong?

I was also getting all kinds of bad motor detection results that vary too wildly for me to want to get into tonight. I have lots of pictures of the inconsistent results I was getting that I can show when I wake up tomorrow, but I would like to know where these CANBUS issues are coming from as well.

3 Likes

Are you able to confirm if the same behavior is present in a previous release/firmware? Ie: 3.40/3.62

1 Like

This everything i want. I kinda dont like having sensors that can fail and less cables is always better.

2 Likes

Yes with 4.X firmware it slightly slowdowns when pushing trigger at max. This makes me a little bit out of balance at full speed because naturally you don’t expect that.

As reported, I also had this kind of whooble at 60-80% and at least one ABS OVER CURRENT fault at each ride.

I have FSESC 6.6 DUAL.

All trouble were gone with downgrading to ACKMANIAC.

4 Likes

This is no error, it is a warning. If the FW version doesn’t change after an upload, the Bootloader is corrupted and SWD Prog is the way forward to reinstall the FW.

3.55 to 3.65 uses the older style motor detection and in consequence the motor should run totally smooth. A fix is on the way…
The config from a 3.6x detection resolves any described issues.

In general a working configuration should be kept and restored after a FW update. It’s fast, convenient and everything stays as it was before.

The FW version does change. Im still getting CANBUS issues. And I dont know how the bootloader would have gotten corrupted when the only things i have done with these VESCs is flash firmware, run many unsuccessful motor detections, and flash the bootloader. I never unplugged power or USB after doing these updates, I always gave the units much more than 10 seconds to reboot.

2 Likes